Wiipers wont stop

help

I have a VW Caravelle W reg The wiper switch position makes no difference to the wipers running, the only thing that stops them is removing the fuse or turning the ignition off

this happened after I had to replace/repair the wiper support tube as one of the castings had snapped

thks Martin

Reply to
Martin Hoyle

switch

Reply to
Peter Parker

The wiper motor has a "park" sensor that tell the wiper relay when the wipers are at the bottom of the windshield. That's why you can turn the wipers off in the middle of a sweep, and they will return to the bottom (thus tripping the 'park' sensor) before shutting off.

In your case, it sounds as if the sensor is stuck in the "non-parked" position, or there is a wiring fault that makes the relay think so. I would go in and make sure the wires going into the wiper motor are not damaged and the connector is firmly plugged in. Failing that, a new wiper relay might be in order.

Reply to
tylernt

Thanks it was an earth fault to the chassis, I have to order some new plastic arm mounting washers to replace the ones that were chewed up, for the time being I have used two big metal washers and some polythene sheet to isolated the arm casting from the bodywork

those castings are pretty weak where they are pressed into the tube, I think the actuating arm had been just hitting the tube flexing it and leading to the casting fracturing anyway I have ground a bit off the side of the arm so its well clear of the tube and casting ehe it rotates

Martin

Reply to
Martin Hoyle