Windsheild Ding

The only real repair is replacement. It is it in your line of vision? If so, your insurance will likely pay for a replacement.

There are do it yourself kits and auto glass shops may be able to give it a professional try. Generally it seems either results in a less than invisible improvement.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

First time caller here, well I got a ding in my windshield maybe 1/64 wide. I was wondering if anyone might know a cheap and easy way to repair it?

Thanks

Reply to
King Mob

Thanks for the reply. Its a 2004 Jetta TDi with less then 1000 miles on it. I swear things like this always happens to me. The ding is on the drivers side, but slightly off from my FOV. You wouldnt know it was there unless you looked, but sonce the car is so new, its bugging the hell out of me.

Mob

Reply to
King Mob

Same crap happened to my car when I bought it. I waited a few years until it was sand blasted a bit and had them change it. Of course, they f*cked up the trim and of course it leaked, on the drivers side, which is why I waited so long in the first place.

Try Novus, if the chip is fresh and clean the repair is nearly invisible.

--TW

Reply to
Tundra Wookie

It should be clear that replacement should be the last thing because of problems down the road. My big concern is they are glued in and the glue bond must be broken to remove the old. How can they not scratch the paint under the glue and give rust a place to start? A good glass shop can repair the spot. Two things I found were important. One is to get it to them before water has a chance to seep into the chip and get between the layers of glass. If it ages and water gets in when they inject the filler you'll have a flower like effect that looks like a daisey. Second it must be big enough to fill. If not just live with it untill the whole surface is sand blasted uniformly :-}Plus your insurance company is more then happy to have the damadge repaired over replacement. I took my last one to a shop, I think they do a better job then the hit and run "we come to you" places. Replacement involves several steps that need curing time, in a shop the tech can be working on several at once and work around the curing. I watched and the steps he took were reassuring. A on site repair tech needs to get to their next stop.

JoBo

99.5 jetta tdi with uniformly sandblasted windshield at 113k miles
Reply to
Jo Bo

Jim B.

Reply to