Windshield Wiper Woes

Car: 1991, Jetta GL Problem: Since I've owned my Jetta (for almost a year) I've always had a problem with the windshield wipers. Until this past weekend. I only had a problem in the "Slow" setting. The wiper would get 1/2 way up the wind shield then start to struggle then stop. At the same time the wiper relay would buzz. It sounded almost like when the oil warning thing comes on. If you would touch it it would be vibrating. This only happened on slow and not on fast or intermittent. Until this past weekend. The stuttering and buzzing happened on fast. Not wonderful at highway speed on 80/90. I pulled off to the next rest area and "helped it along" to clean the windshield. Then I pulled the relay and pulled it apart to see if I could see anything burnt up. It was fine. Put it back in. Then I go to test my wipers. And on intermittent and slow I get nothing. But on Fast I hear this motor spinning. I take apart my car and find that on fast the motor is sitting there spinning.

Hypothesis: The windshield linkage needed some lubricant, which is why it bound up on slow. Fast and intermittent gave it more juice and over came that, until this weekend. When I "helped it along" to clean my windshield I stripped the ribbing that makes the whole assembly move together. This doesn't explain why I get nothing on slow and intermittent, now that there are no more restrictions, but nothing.

Any suggestions more on what actually happened, has this happened to anyone before. I have 2 other A2's that I can "borrow" the mechanics from to fix it, but I want to know what caused it first.

Reply to
Jedediah A Frey

I have replaced my motor twice in 9 years. I would comment more but I really don't feel like it right now...

Good Luck. BTW your dissertation sounds like a computer programmer trying to repair a car. Very entertaining. :-)

Reply to
Peter Parker