WTB: CIS-E 8V Front Coolant Flange

Parting out an old 8V CIS-E GTI/GLI? Cleaning out the garage? I know someone out there has a used CIS-E coolant flange (cylinder head to radiator, water pump, oil cooler) that they're willing to sell me. Mine has pitting corrosion with pinholes on the radiator outlet port. Dealer wants blue-book value of my old GTI for a brand-new flange (well, not quite, but close). Wreckers are proud of their flanges too. Email me a photo of your flange and we'll talk price.

Reply to
Kent

I think the last one I sold, or had, I got about $25 shipped and it looked new. I can try to look for another one, but I have my doubts. I can look for the picture of one so others can see which flange you are looking for. This one bolts to the cylinder head but has 3 hose outlets, one large one to the radiator, and 2 smaller ones to water pump and oil cooler. There is either 1-3 spots for sensors or switches. Odd looking thing. lol

That one flange you need is only on certain watercooled VWs and somewhat hard to find. I would say clean it well and repair it with metal epoxy. That will seal up and fill in those pinholes and pits. I have done it before on some questionable ones and it works very well.

Reply to
One out of many daves

That's the one. Mine has three sensor ports: one for the thermo-time switch, one for the CIS-E coolant temperature sensor, and one for the gauge temperature sender. Surprisingly, I had a line on one on Ebay last night, but got sniped in the last few moments of the auction. I think the seller's buddy was trying to boost the price, hoping I would proxy bid, but I didn't bite. Another Ebay scam, the winning bidder was clearly not a buyer of auto parts, nothing but toy trains and scuba gear for the last year. Why the heck would this guy want an old VW CIS-E coolant flange?!!

I'll buy one if I can find one for a reasonable price, but the metal epoxy is a good suggestion. Wouldn't be the first time I used an unorthodox repair on this car.

Thanks,

Reply to
Kent

Yeah I have lost some auctions that way. But I have also gotten some good prices that way too sniping. lol

Use the epoxy metal right now and keep searching for a better part if you like. If you can't find one, or you feel you can't patch yours properly I will look for one at my garage. later, dave (One of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1