1998 Chevy 4x4

I replaced the pads and rotors without cracking the system, when I got in to pump the brakes back up to tighten up the calipers the pedal just keeps going to the floor. I tried bleeding the system, both grvity and regular bleeding. Still going to the floor. I can pump them up with the engine off and it feels like there is more brake pedal there but while holding them down and starting the engine the pedal just stays put. Need answers quick Please!!!!!

Reply to
locknuts

that's a tough one. the breaks should clamp down on the roter with no problim. I guess I would check the roters for correct thickness. But even if they were thin the calipers should work all the way down after a few pumps. I think you have air in the system or your master cylender chose this time to fail. be extra sure you get the Exact right master cylender. when i changed mine i ran into a plunger depth nightmare and bench bleading it can be tricky

Reply to
dirtdude

First mistake, on a 98 you cannot bleed the brakes without the proper equipment, you need that little machine the dealer uses to do it, just bleeding at the wheels and gravity bleeding wont work, trust me I have a 99 Jimmy and they are the same....anything with that big ugly ABS box underthe hood you cant bleed the old fashion way

Reply to
Adam

Another reason to get rid of ABS. Totally secondary to the fact that I perform better than ABS 99% of the time. I'm allowing 1% but haven't seen it yet...

Reply to
Stephen Young

try turning the ign key on eng. not running then pressure bleed the brakes with the key on and you will have better luck you should always open the bleeders on anything with abs before you push the pistion back pushing fluid back through a abs unit really upsets it

Reply to
helly