anyone know how to test a 4wd actuator ?

I have a 1990 chev 4x4 the actuator wire was unplugged, the guy I bought the truck from said it was broken... .I plugged it back in to try it but the

4wd does not seem to be engaging.. The light in the shifter to say if it is in 4wd is not coming on either. I would like to test the actuator manually, is there any way to force 12volt to it and get ti to engage while unthreaded from the front diff ?
Reply to
ChEvRoLeT

if it's the 4x4 pushbutton kind. look under the battery tray. the actuator is under there. there is probably a rip in it. =if no rip check the vacuum lines connected to it.

Reply to
vwtopdown

Reply to
ChEvRoLeT

message

bummer. sorry i was guessing you had pushbutton since it waasn't stated. that was my problem previously. good luck

vwtopdown

in message

Is this a S10 or fullsized truck because the actuator is vacum on one and thermoeletric on other.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Reply to
ChEvRoLeT

Reply to
ChEvRoLeT

It is thermo-electric. Aplie 12 volts to it directly. On pin is for the 4x4 indicator light and the other is to engage it. It make some noise as it engaged and should get warm after a few minutes. These things fail a lot with age so this is not uncommon.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

so unplug it and apply 12v to which side.. I guess I could do 1 at a time and see what happens.. I have a new one Just would like to know that was the problem bfore I go ripping parts off.. Figured you would be able to help.. you da man.

Reply to
ChEvRoLeT

I do not have a schematic handy but if you have a ohm meter it will be terminal with no resistance and the other should read open. You could also check for power at plug to confirm if it is even getting power.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

You have the crappy wax pellet style on that truck. Even when they are new they don't like COLD weather. Nice thing is that GM made a replacement part that uses a solenoid instead of the wax pellet. Direct bolt on and they work without fuss. The wax type are a VERY common failure item. If you don't like either of those types you can also get an aftermarket kit that replaces the actuator with a cable that you pull to engage the axle.

Reply to
Steve W.

The only problem with these aftermarket kits like this is that the linkages for them are exposed and it is a shame that they did not come up with a design that was enclosed and that mud, brush or ice could not possibly interfere with its operation.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

if you have a new one, make sure it is the new type with a motor driven actuator and not the old thermo type. as Snowman said, the old ones fail and even will not engage it the temperature is too low to allow heat expansion. old john mine failed when i was buried in cold mud and then had no front wheel drive.

1999 chevrolet tahoe 1989 fs ford bronco 2000 xj jeep cherokee 1988 xj jeep cherokee 1957 fc150 forward control cab over jeep 1955 (highly modified) cj5 jeep hiking boots

Reply to
<ajeeperman

Reply to
ChEvRoLeT

Reply to
ChEvRoLeT

Another nice thing about the newer ones is that they stay engaged when power is removed so they do not need to re-engage if you shut off and restart it in 4wd.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Reply to