HELP...1990 K5... Trying to remove front brake rotor

1990 Blazer K5 has auto locking hubs. How much of the "guts" do I have to remove, to get the hub off, so I can pull the rotor. I removed the "torx" bolts, and managed to compress the spring enough to get the clip off. Naturally, the spring shot out into my chest when the screwdrivers slipped off (due to the sweat and grease)...wouldn't have it any other way. Should this thing just be falling off in my hands, or do have to get all the guts out. Thanks for any help....I've been a mech for over 30 years...just never on a 4x4.

Norm

Reply to
Tammy Warfield

How much of the "guts" do I have to remove, to get the hub off, so I can pull the rotor?

I removed the "torx" bolts, and managed to compress the spring enough to get the clip off. Naturally, the spring shot out into my chest when the screwdrivers slipped off (due to the sweat and grease)...wouldn't have it any other way.

Should this thing just be falling off in my hands, or do have to get all the guts out?

Thanks for any help....I've been a mech for over 30 years...just never on a 4x4.

Norm =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Anyone that's actually been a mechanic for over 30 years and has NEVER worked on a 4X4.....is not a mechanic.

so...... get it done.

or...... apologize for the lye about being a mechanic for over 30 years and then we'll talk.

~:~ MarshMonster ~mechanic for 26 years~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Lets put it this way tammy, I was told by good ole' marsh here how to do it - and decided I didn't want too!

GMC Gremlin

[...]

I figured it out, after I was told not to expect much from here...been a "jet mech" (powerplants) in "the Corps" for 15 years (1983-1998), then went onto HVAC work, and then the facilities mech for a large camera corp and have done every shred of work on my '68 Camaro, and just about every one of my friends rides...apologize?? I think not...but now if anyone wants to know how to remove the hub's off a '90 Blazer...I'll give them the help they need...I certainly do not want to offend, nor really feel a need to "prove myself" as a mech, as I am quite sure that there are plenty better than me...Thanks anyway...Peace.

Norm

Reply to
Norm II

Don't take any of the shit any of us say seriously Norm:

We're just a bunch of good natured pricks, who love to tease, like a hooker who wants $50.00 and all you want to pay is $30.00.

Point being, we just love to joke, but I'm sure someone would have gave you the answer if you posted you were doing the job immediately.

With kind regards,

Reply to
Refinish King

=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0I figured it out, after I was told not to expect much from here...

been a "jet mech" (powerplants) in "the Corps" for 15 years (1983-1998), then went onto HVAC work, and then the facilities mech for a large camera corp and have done every shred of work on my '68 Camaro, and just about every one of my friends rides...

apologize??

I think not...but now if anyone wants to know how to remove the hub's off a '90 Blazer...I'll give them the help they need...

I certainly do not want to offend, nor really feel a need to "prove myself" as a mech, as I am quite sure that there are plenty better than me...

Thanks anyway...Peace. Norm =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Norm, don't worry bout offending anyone. No offense taken, and none was intended.

And you certainly don't need to apologize, now that you've got the drum off. Lmao

~~

00 L {}

perhaps you should read my reply again soldier, and read it slow....cuz i don't type fast.

HEY!!..... Maybe you could help "ME" with a problem I"M having....you being a mechanic and all.

See....I've been a mechanic for over 26 years,

6 years as a Tank Mechanic, spent a few years as a Body Man, worked for a major franchise as a frontend and brake technician for several years, I have worked in several dealerships throughout the years, have held various management postitions in parts stores, tuneup centers, muffler shops, bodyshops,tuneup centers,tire stores, and I have become fairly proficient in ALL aspects of general automotive diagnostics and repair, and in the last several years have become fairly adept and proficient in the area of transmissions, and computer diagnostics.........

however..... I am having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to get the door open on my new Cesana.......think you could help me with that???

or you reck'n a guy with my level of expertise may be able to figure it out??

~~

00 L

~:~ MarshMonster ~thinks perhaps he should have made his original reply a little clearer......... "GET IT DONE SOLDIER!!!....THAT"S AN ORDER!!!"..........that way you would have maybe felt assured that there was confidence in your abilities from your superiors" =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster

[...]

Cool...You go man!! Thanks again for all your help...I'm sure you'll figure out the cesana thing...I don't have one, or even know what one is!! Peace...Out

Reply to
Norm II

The front wheel bearing retaing nut has to be removed to remove the hub. Think of the front spindle just like a car spindle except that it is hollow to let the stub shaft through. There is a special socket with 4 prongs on it to engage the locknut. Remove the locknut, then pull out the bearing adjustment retainer...this is a ring with a series of holes in it, there is a pin on the bearing adjustment nut that wil line up with one of the holes when you have set the bearing preload. The ring also has a key on it's inner diameter to engage a keyway in the hollow spindle, so that way, when you have adjusted the bearing upon reassembly the bearing adjuster nut can't loosen. The pin holds the nut with respect to the ring and the key holds the ring with respect to the spindle. The second (outer) nut tightens down on the bearing adjustment retainer so it can't slip out of engagement.

Reply to
fake40