How to test fuel spider on 1997 Blazer?

Hello,

I have a 1997 Blazer LS, 4 X 4, with a "W" type 4.3L V6 rebuilt engine in it. When the engine was replaced the mechanic who performed the work installed the "updated fuel spider" kit. This was about 2 years ago.

Since then, I've had to have the fuel pump replaced (June 2008) and shortly afterwards the catalytic converter at a local garage.

Recently, the vehicle died on the highway again and was towed to the same local garage where the fuel pump and catalytic converter were replaced. The symptoms were exactly the same as when the fuel pump failed. No power and it wouldn't start. It seemed as though it wasn't getting fuel. No smell of gas anywhere at all.

The mechanic at the local garage has isolated the problem to what he believes is a defective fuel spider. Whenever the fuel spider is connected, the fuse blows out. For him to pursue it any further, he has to start removing parts. The quote for the fuel spider was $599, plus $300 in labor to replace it.

I put in a call to the original mechanic who installed the engine and the updated fuel spider to see if I have any recourse with regard to price and so on. I'm not getting my hopes up, but you never know unless you ask.

What I'm trying to find out is if there is any sort of test procedure to prove beyond a doubt that the fuel spider definitely is defective. I realize that this would require removing it from the vehicle. I'm just looking for options, as a new or used vehicle is out of the question at present and I can't see putting almost $1000 in to a vehicle this old.

Thanks in advance to those who post a reply to the group.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis

You can get a complete unit for FAR less than $600.00

Plus it is not a hard item to change out. Only takes about 4 hours if you don't stop a lot.

Test wise, if it is blowing the fuse as soon as it is powered up, It has a short. Not really anything that can be done but replacement.

Reply to
Steve W.

Just wanted to pass along some useful information that may be of help to others here.

Yesterday, a friend helped with the removal of the fuel spider.

After doing so, we tested the wiring and each injector for continuity. It all tested out okay.

Upon closer inspection, we discovered that the protective tubing that is over the fuel tubes and wiring that go to the injectors had worn through in a few places on several of them. The wiring where it had worn through for one of the tubes proved to be exposed and must have been shorting to ground through the bracket that holds it in place. That would explain why it kept blowing out the fuse. Had the bracket itself been insulated, it would never have blown out the fuse when power was applied to the fuel injection circuit.

At this point, we could have simply insulated where the wiring had worn through and put it all back together. However, to play it safe, we decided that we will replace the fuel spider and make sure that the wiring that leads to the fuel injectors sits above the fuel injector tubes inside the protective tubing. Seeing as how it took over 2 years for this to wear through and fail, I doubt that I'll still have the vehicle by the time it wears through again.

The strange thing though is that when it's all assembled within the bracket we can't see how there's any movement that would allow for it to chafe through. The bracket itself is just slid in place under a shoulder bolt to hold it captive, so there could be some movement there. However, when the whole assembly is put back in place it appears to hold down the fuel spider. How there could be any movement inside there is beyond us, but, apparently, there must be some otherwise it wouldn't have failed.

Hope this helps others who have encountered the same problem.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis