Rollover Survivability: Pickups vs Suburbans?

Can't remember where I looked, but last time (some years back...) the survivability rate differences for rollover were pretty drastic for pickup trucks vs Suburbans. The pickup truck rates suggested that if you roll a pickup, you're basically dead meat.

I'm guessing it's a combination of construction (what the posts are made of) and the number of posts (4 vs 8).

What I'm wondering is whether having a crew cab mitigates the pickup's numbers any and if construction has improved any?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

I don't believe that pickup construction has improved. I did read a study that a well constructed fiberglass cap did have the ability to greatly increase the strength of the vehicle. In a pickup with a crewcab there might be more strength...but it doesn't appear that the extended cab versions have much more rididity than a regular.

By the way, I survived a roll over in a pickup...the cab was even with the bed after the accident.

Reply to
Advocate

I rolled two trucks at highway speeds and came out fine. All of the stuff in the cab will beat the snot out of you once it gets airborne.

Reply to
dave

I think we were both lucky, no thanks to the safety design (or lack thereof) of the structure.

I was wearing my seat belt and i vividly remember hitting the windshield with my forehead, then the cold snow poured on me. As the vehicle tumbled and flipped, I recall thinking to myself "so much for seatbelts, it didn't help me at all" (this was my thought process rather than the typical life flashing before ones eyes). Witness' to the accident said the truck first rolled once then went end over end over five times. What actually was happening at the time was luckily my seatbelt *did* keep me in the seat; the windshield simply invaded my space as the cab was being crushed. I survived with only superficial cuts and scrapes; my wife suffered a broken finger.

My experience happened in 1987; I should mention this was the last time I ever placed my posterior in a pickup that had a lift kit installed. Today I drive a 2001 Silverado which to my knowledge is the 4X4 with the lowest center of gravity of any pickup produced in the United States.

We should all learn by our experiences.

Reply to
Advocate