Tailgate capacity of a 4x4 Silverado (Quincy 390 compressor)

I need to transport a Quincy 390 compressor in my pickup truck. (This

390 was a kind of the spur of the moment deal, and my trailer is at that guy's place already loaded with two other compressors so I cannot use it).

This Quincy 390 looks similar to ebay item 260365049814, and weighs about between 1,680 and 2,010 lbs per Quincy brochure, depending on tank size which I do not remember.

I am concerned that in my truck bed, its rear legs may have to stand on my tailgate and I am concerned about the tailgate's capacity.

My pickup truck is a 4x4 Silverado. Any ideas whether about 1,000 lbs on two legs, is too much for it (which seems to be the case).

I do not want to get in any sort of road trouble.

Ignoramus2902

"Ignoramus2902" wrote: (clip) I am concerned that in my truck bed, its rear legs may have to stand

I don't know, but I suggest: Lay a sheet of 3/4" plywood in the truck bed before loading, so it will have to bow if the tailgate sags. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ (clip) I do not want to get in any sort of road trouble. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Look at the position of the truck after loading. If the front is way up and the tail is down the handling will be unsafe. If you plan to tow the trailer at the same time, that will add another 400 lb or so to the rear, making matters worse. While you're driving, it will feel like your front wheels are floating.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Don't do it. Screw the compressor legs to long 4X4's so that the load will be supported by the bed.

JC

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Well, most of the mass of the compressor will be in front of the rear wheels.

Anyway, yes, I will try to stop by Home Depot and get a plywood sheet or two 2x12's.

Reply to
Ignoramus2902

With your skills of aquisition, I am surprised that you don't own a car hauler. I like a wooden deck, so you can screw or nail down blocks to keep odd shapes from rolling around under the straps. A winch on the front really helps, but a come-along will do.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

I like my trailer, and like having sides also. I made that trailer myself. My trailer's bed is not small, about 10 feet long, and it has good cargo capacity. These three compressors are big. The Quincy 390 is the size of a big cow. The other 20 HP compressor is even longer, but looks lighter. And there is that 6 foot long smaller Quincy.

Reply to
Ignoramus2902

Uh BAD IDEA, VERY BAD IDEA. Truck tailgates are NOT rated for more than 500 pound and that is on ones that actually have a rating. I think the Silverado has a tag that says nothing over 300 pounds. Keep in mind that the ONLY thing supporting that tailgate are those two crimped cables on the ends and two THIN sheet metal cups.

Reply to
Steve W.

I screwed it to two lengthwise 2x6 boards and it fit -- barely! -- into the bed with tailgate closed. I am drivnig with it and 2 more compressors in the trailer. i am at a stop light

Reply to
Ignoramus2902

On top of what Steve said, some Silverado trucks had a recall out to have defective tailgate cables replaced. They would break with people simply standing on them. Don't know if that applies to your particular truck though. I'd bolt the compressor to a couple 4x4s or some such and load it so the weight is supported only by the truck bed.

Reply to
# 42

"Ignoramus2902" wrote: (clip) it fit -- barely! --

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I suggest you invest in a tape measure, so you won't have to get the whole group involved in a non-problem. :-)

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Congratulations on your streak of good luck. If I was presented with that project, I'd beg/borrow/rent a truck with a hydraulic lift gate.

Reply to
klutz

Here's a picture of that compressor in my Chevy:

Ignoramus2902

Keep in mind that the ONLY thing

AND, in my case (2000 Chev Silverado) both of my cables broke. No, not the fittings but the cables actually fell apart. Went to the dealer to buy a pair and was told that they were a recall item. They gave me a pair for free. Offered to install them for free but I did no have the truck with me.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Yea, but still an interesting discussion.....

Reply to
Commentator

Sorry about the top post earlier. Brain fade.

Nicely done. From the original post, I surmised that the compressor was longer than the bed and wouldn't allow the tailgate to close. Heck, once it was loaded, you were good to go. Maybe I'm getting lazy in my old age. Wrestling it on and off of a hydraulic lift gate is an easier dance for me. Cheers.

Reply to
klutz

I have replaced a LOT of cables on various breeds of truck. I much preferred the older flat steel links used until the mid 80's.

Reply to
Steve W.