91 Integra - Oil Pressure Light and Headlight Chime

I've searched this group for previous messages and noticed that the oil pressure light has been mentioned a few times. When it's been raining for a long time it comes on, flickers, or is real dim. In addition the headlight chime also chirps randomly during the same weather conditions. I never knew that the chime even existed because it doesn't work as it's supposed to. I've replaced the oil sending switch and problem still exists. Tried connecting a mechanical oil guage to test pressure but am having problems finding right fitting for block connection. Standard 1/8 inch thread only turns in about 1 1/2 turns and I don't want to force it any further. There seems to be a Technical Service Bulletin # 90013 called "Engine- Low Oil Pressure Light Flashes". Can anyone tell me what this bulletin is about? Any help greatly appreciated. Kindest Regards, Robin

Reply to
R. Weber

"R. Weber" wrote in news:Txwzf.3620$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Ask your local dealer for a copy. They will happily print one off for you.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

The bulletin you are mentioning is actually for a Legend I believe. Have you checked your fuse box for signs of water intrusion? The integrated control unit is on the back of the fuse box and may be getting wet causing these symptoms.

David Short Acura God

Reply to
Acura God

Reply to
B.Creech

Sounds to me like it could be the defective capacitor on the ICU See:

?mode=hybrid&t=56089photos:
Mine (91 teg) was bad and caused random chirping and eventually no intermittent wipers. They work now and no more chirping.

The oil sensor is on that circuit because if the pressure drops for a certain amount of time and then goes above the threshold value the ICU will flash the light until you turn off the car in case you missed it when it was actually low (or something like that, can't quite remember, but I just verified in the wiring diagram that the pressure indicator is wired through the ICU).

It's cheap to fix it yourself (I replaced the original 100µF, 16V, 105C cap. with a 100µF, 35V, 85C from RadioShack for a $1 or so), but it's a pain to remove the ICU.

Also, mechanical gauges have a pipe fitting thread (it is tapered) so it snugs up somewhere in the middle. I can't say for sure whether you have the right size, but when I was installing one in an Audi and I thought the same thing as you. I torqued it down a bit and it seems fine. I used teflon tape, but don't use excessive amounts that could tear off and clog things up.

--Art

Reply to
Art M