TCS & ABS Dash Inicator Lights on

I started my 2000 TL this morning and the TCS & ABS dash lights stayed on. It's only got 66k on it. I thought possibly that it was a fuse issue since they were both on, but all the fuses are OK.

Any ideas? Will I have to mortgage the house to fix?

Thanks in advance

Tony

The TCS on the 2000 uses the ABS to control wheel spin. The service manual suggests that when both lights come on, diagnose the ABS problem first. So the bottom line is you have a fault in the anti-lock braking system. There will be one or more problem codes stored in it.

It is possible to make it blink out the codes by shorting the SCS connector (which is buried in the main OBD-II connector under the ash try), but the manual doesn't tell how to do it without using a Honda PGM tester. If the dealer doesn't charge too much to diagnose it (I would ask first before turning them loose on it), taking it to them might be the easiest way.

As long as both lights are on, neither the ABS nor the TCS is working, but you should still have normal braking. If they want too much to fix it, you can probably safely ignore it, since both of these things are features, not necessities.

Reply to
E Meyer

Thanks for the input and your opinion is right on. If it costs too much to fix, it won't be. For some reason, in my past experience, parts prices for Acuras in Canada are TWICE what they charge in the States. Free trade? Go figure.

Thanks again for the help..

Tony

But labour is more in the US than here. Dealer in Minneapolis wanted

95$US/hour. Here it's 90-110$ per hour now in CAN$. So it's not exactly twice as much.

Reply to
Nightdude

Let me correct that.. The labor is comparable and I'm happy with the service at my dealer, but the parts are a different thing. I recently needed a thermostat and because I bitched and complained at the price the gave it to me for dealer cost of $64.93 Cdn plus taxes (15%), U.S. List price is $31.60. I found rotors & pads to be similar.

Tony