98 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Exhaust Problems

I am just wondering if anyone else has had exhaust leak issues with their A4. I took it into a specialized shop, and apparently the leak is right beside a clamp. They wanted to replace the entire exhaust system which seemed a bit extreme to me.

Has anyone experienced this problem, and if so, is there a reasonable fix that does not require an entire replacement?

Thank you.

Chris Vancouver, Canada.

Reply to
NV_BC

I have the same car but haven't had exhaust problems so far. Do a search on audiworld.com - there's a lot of info there on A4 problem areas.

Reply to
Ian S

Great thank you for the information.

Reply to
NV_BC

Hi, I need to know which clamp is leaking? is it the one that connects the exhaust to the cat?

If so these are a common wear item and can be bought from the dealer, the cost over here is £20.00 each and they are long sleeves, fairly easy to fit as they just slide over the exhaust and clamp up. Check where it is blowing, you have 2 of these clamps as the engine has 2 cat's, each one going to a seperate part of the exhaust.

hth

ronny

Reply to
Ronny

Hi Ronny

Actually I took the car in again today, and apparently the right catalytic converter is broken up inside and that is creating the virbation noise. The leak is on the flex pipe under the clamp, so replacing the catalytic will fix that as well.

They quoted me $1600 to replace this part including labour. I couldn't believe how much it is.

Any idea how to get a cheaper part?

Reply to
NV_BC

Yeah you can get the cats for around £200/$400 each over here, but before they say the cat is broke ,ake sure its not the resonator, B5 Audi exhausts have a feature that makes them vibrate the shit out of the exhaust when you drive about the first 5-10 miles to clear excess water. if the cat is gone it might be worth replacing both, they normally last 100k miles plus though.

Normally if the cat's go you lose power quite drasticlly, so unless the Audi dealer says the cat is gone, don't assume they are correct....

You have 2 cats remember :)

I bet you it's just a case of replacing the metal sleeve which is causing the blowing, a rattle in the cat for a few more thousand miles is not going to cause no problems, but It's your choice.. Did you notice the rattle before? does the rattle go when the car is warm?

Reply to
Ronny

Well the rattle is pretty constant when the engine is cool and warm. I didn't think of the resonator.

I had the car at the muffler shop yesterday, and the mechanic showed me the two cats and I banged on them both. It really seemed as though there are broken bits inside them.

The car has actually not lost any power, but the fuel economy is down. I guess before doing anything, I should let Audi take a look at it to be sure.

I apprecaite your advice.

Reply to
NV_BC