Fuel pump

Hi.

I have recently bought a 1990 Audi Coupe 1.8 fwd. It's done 169000 km. I've noticed that the fuel pump keeps a steady but in my opinion pretty loud sound. It can be heard inside the car and especially well outside at the back. Revving the engine does not affect it, but turning on electrical equipment such as headlights or rear window heater slightly change the sound.

Is this something to be concerned for or normal? If the pump needs changing, what's the price for a new unit? I live in Finland, if you know good sources for parts please let me know.

Thanks.

Reply to
Ville Pulkkanen

Normal for early 90's VW/Audi cars. I have it in my 95 VW Passat.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Hi,

Sound is first sign of failing pump. It's individual though, some pumps make noise for years and work fine, some quit within few weeks...

New (original) pump costs something like 130-150 euros (at least for my -91 Audi 100 2.3E). Also check out

it has parts for 'older' Audi's.

There was some discussion about fuel pumps in Audifinns-forum (in finnish only, sorry for rest of you):

- Jarno -

BTW. Have you changed fuel filter? Clogged filter can cause pump noise due restriction in fuel flow.

------------------------------------ "Nothing is as certain as uncertain"

Reply to
Jarno

Hi and thanks for answering.

I'll check out those links. Is changing the fuel filter a straightforward do-it-yourself job or a visit to a garage? Costs? The car has just been in for an oil-change service, is changing the fuel filter included in that?

Ville

Reply to
Ville Pulkkanen

It's pretty straightforward procedure. Of course there will be pressure in fuel line, so it would be better to remove fuel-pump fuse and to crank engine for a while before opening connections.

Remember to get new seals for line connections with filter. New filter costs about 20 euros (propably less).

IIRC fuel filter service interval is 60 000km, so it's not part of oil-change service.

- Jarno -

PS. One other thing, if your fuel pump is located inside fuel tank it will last longer if you keep tank full (like fill it when it's half empty).