Manual lock, just a single freaking lock on the driver's side? you must be kidding me

I was (unpleasantly) surprised by the fact that the ONLY mechanical key is on the driver's door. No keyhole on the passenger side, nothing on the 5th door of my 2003 A4 avant. While the latter is expected having no redundancy in mechanical entry is not acceptable on what now is a $36k+ car

I have disconnected (both contacts on) the battery when I had skid plates installed last weekend (the engine skid plate in front rests on a SINGLE metal attachment point on the radiator subframe, eesh Ingolstadt, provide decent provisioning for the skid plate attachments and/or fix the freaking oil pan with anything thicker and stronger than paper). Now remote entry does not work.

The procedure for the key reset provided in the owner's manual does not work. I'm pissed that I have only ONE way to get into the car now with no backup whatsoever. What if anything happens to that single driver's side lock when the temps drop to around 18F??????

Reply to
AD

It works in fact now that I've tried again tonight (with the backup key in the ignition, not that it should've mattered).

still, the question remains why did audi pinch pennies on the passenger side lock?

I do hope that the driver's side manual unlocking works without problems when everything freezes here and the issue of no redundancy remains a hypothetical one.

Reply to
AD