my under $200 mod's results...

We'll here are the first mods I have added to my 99 a4 1.8t tip. 710n diverter valve, n75j, and dave smith custom free flow intake. From the opinion of most of the people I have spoken to chip and exhaust are the best bang for the buck including the apr/ecs boys, and I agree. But if you don't have $1300 to blow right off the bat. Try these mods Bosch 710n dv, it is the stock dv from the TT, $35 from the dealer. n75j from vw dealer $74. Homemade free flow air intake $34. the noticeable gain from the intake was a sound change. Gave the car a nice growl compared to the stock sound. These mods have made a great improvement in performance. Give'em a try. If you want instructions on how to make the intake email me for detailed instructions. snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net .

Reply to
dave smith

Interesting report. Thanks. But what's an N75j?

Also.. could someone explain to me how fitting a different exhaust could increase performance on a car? I wasn't aware that anything significant happens in and after the gasses enter the exhaust system (other than cooling, filtering and some audio-tuning/muffling).

Thanks!

Reply to
Bram

Bram, Reduced exhaust restriction on a turbocharged car will result in quicker spooling up of the turbocharger = quicker boost. On NA cars, increased flow of exhaust has less of a beneficial effect - it can actually decrease the performance of the engine in the extreme case (ie - no exhaust). NA cars benefit from intake side tuning (port&polish, etc.) more than exhaust side. Be careful with using those air/oil "filterchargers" - I've heard of many MAF sensor failures using these. Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ - used to have a K&N...which now does a good job of protecting my shelf from dust. 1980 Audi 5k - good ol' paper filter
Reply to
Steve Sears

One question.. *how* great? (e.g. dyno/stopwatch comparison)

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

people, please READ! the post. people are emailing me on "how did you modify your exhaust" or "whats a n75j" no where in my original post did i say anything about an exhaust mod! i made a custom free flow air intake. if you want to know how i did this, contact me. if you want to know about the n75 try reading a few posts under this one or better yet. try

. no offense to anyone but if you cant find out on your own about some of these things, the you by no account should even open the hood on your car, except to check the oil, and no i dont have any instructions on this procedure.

Reply to
dave smith

Still curious about the measured power/time difference.. ;o)

H1K

P.S. "Hood" raised at the flick of a switch, "bonnet" takes longer. Divided by a common language.. ;o)

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

results, i do not have a dyno and i did not do a stopwatch comparison. the results i said were great imo. and we all know what they say about opinions! the intake mod gave the car a very nice sound improvement over stock. has a nice growl now. the 710 & n75 improved throttle response and accelleration. i can feel the difference when i wack the gas down, the car throws me back in the seat harder than it did before. it is a noticeable "quantifiable" improvement. and my gas mileage seems to have improved slightly, odd? my next and most likely final mods will be chip, exhaust and then wheels although the wheels i want to change mainly because i dont like the look of the stock wheels. i plan on 17's but keeping the ride height the same, and then off to driving school. mr. kreiger, we all have our own opinions on this subject. i respect yours please respect my decisions. it may be a personality flaw but i like instant gratification. i want to get the car running up to a level i am satisfied with and then when i am finished with the car i will work on the driver mod's. i have not forgotten about your suggestion and actually i have spoken to several of my friends concerning driving school and they are interested as well. im trying to get a group together and check it out. your suggestion has not fallen on deaf ears. you made some good points about applying things learned in driving school to every day driving, avoiding deer etc. and i am as you say "pumped up" about it. i just like to do things my way. the purpose of my post was to help people who want more performance out of their a4 but dont have a lot of money to dump into modifications. i dont want people to get ripped of buy those idiots who advertise 60 hp gains from those vortex type air turbines you put in your intake hose, or those relay type boxes that are supposed to trick your ecu to give you more hp, etc. god gave us free will, use it as you see fit. dave

Reply to
dave smith

My guess is that the greatest gains will show up on a dB meter.

While the guy paid some lip service to my recommendation for driver training, he went ahead and screwed with the car anyway. Most of those who ignore such advice and 'upgrade' their cars tend to see remarkably unquantifiable performance gains, IME.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger