BMW Accelerator jam car hits 135mph

Wriggle and squirm all you like. Just read the article and related links to conventional clutch and automatic transmission [which have wet multiplate clutches within]. It will help you a lot. As a direct answer to your question, power is converted to torque at a lower speed and waste heat. In effect it slips. This is not the case with a conventional clutch which is just an on/off switch. You should have known this even if your engineering experience was limited to school metalwork :o]

Huw

Huw

Reply to
Huw

No it doesn't, at least not if not being driven by a learner driver kangerooing down the road. If it was a switch the car would stall when it was switched on (as learners find).

A clutch like a torque convertor allows variable amounts of torque to be transmited through it.

Reply to
Emperor's New Widescreen

The modulation of the switch is irrellevant. It is a switch which has been well engineered to smoothly modulate. You really know how to dig.

A clueless digger. An electrical wall switch can control a single or two bar electric fire but it is not a converter, it is just an on/off switch.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

At seventy you can downshift the bmw into a lower gear infact you can downshift into 2nd at seventy in a bmw

Reply to
Steve Robinson

I had a Rover V8 3500 SDi by the time I was 25, and although I only had three and half years serious driving experience by then, knew perfectly well how to bring the car to a halt from its top speed (of 129mph downhill with the wind behind it*). This guy is a former [professional] lorry driver (why former? - he is only 25), so he can't work out how to turn the ignition back one notch and then control the car on wide straight dual carriageway (motorway during part of his journey) - tell me another...

  • we took it for a test - the limiting factor was the aerodynamics, which caused it to scoop air under each side alternately.
Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

What you seem to be describing is a fluid clutch. In a fluid clutch there is no gain in torque so there is indeed slippage and a lot of wasted power that ends up as heat. In a torque converter, there is an increase in torque to make up for the decrease in speed so most of the engine power goes through instead of being wasted as heat. The heat that they do produce is just frictional, it's not inherent in the device.

Reply to
Derek Potter

It was an automatic.

marc

Reply to
marc_CH

No its not it has 3 phase open closed and variable slip.

Reply to
Emperor's New Widescreen

Are you seriously saying that you can engage the steering lock in a 318 without removing the key? Now that's what I call dangerous!

Reply to
SteveG

It was an automatic car

Reply to
Jonathan Bryce

So when the TC's book him for 135 he says "well it felt like 135" and then produces a load of road test results etc. that prove that the police evidence is doubtful (certainly beyond reasonable doubt).

A quick check on an R reg 318 suggests that the speed (especially in an auto) might be slightly exagerated: -

Body typeSaloon Number of doors4 Number of seats5 Engine (cc/type)1796/4 Fuel typeUnleaded Max power (bhp/rpm)115/5500 Max torque (lb ft/rpm)124/3900 Max speed (mph)125 Kerb weight (kg)1205

PS BMW speedos are not made by Ford and tend to read fairly accurately.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Then it is not a simple on/off switch as is a car clutch silly. A car clutch is not even a torque limiting device let alone a torque converter. Give up. You haven't a clue.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

It converts torque at a variable range of power.

Reply to
Emperor's New Widescreen

Why do you always leave the previous posters name at the bottom of your post?

JS

Reply to
John Smith

My dear chap/girl, a standard car clutch either transmits power or it doesn't. It converts nothing. It slips only momentarily for smooth modulation. It is designed to be either 'on' or 'off'. It is a method of breaking the transmission of power just like a light switch. It is not like a transformer. You just don't get it. Frankly you should read those links I kindly provided you and stop making such a damned fool of yourself, albeit anonymously.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

No the previous poster does that.

Reply to
Emperor's New Widescreen

You don't appear to understand what a clutch is used for when in

*operation*. Its function is to provide a *smooth* conversion of torque from minimum to maximum, hence to convert torque(smoothly). It is not at all lilke a switch, that it its whole point, to avoid the abruptness of a switch which would stall and/or damage the engine/gearbox.
Reply to
Emperor's New Widescreen

"John Smith" wrote >

I think his answer to this proves beyond doubt what kind of person we are dealing with. One similar to the BMW driver to which this conservation initially referred to.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

So the police helicopter and cars that were following him are also part of a "hoax" are they?

Reply to
Alex Heney

"Emperor's New Widescreen" wrote in message news:HL0Rf.2147$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...

It is a switch and the smoothness of modulation is irrelevant. There are many types of clutches but a car clutch is very similar to an aircon compressor clutch. It is a simple switch, with some refinements. You think otherwise. Quite simply you are wrong. A car clutch is not designed to be slipped other than a minimum for smooth full engagement and the refinement is to facilitate this and cushion shock loads. Of course there are clutches that have no facility for smooth modulation. An example of these is a dog clutch which has fierce teeth which engage. It is nevertheless a clutch. A torque converter is as described and is designed to slip almost constantly and facilitates a very high first gear in the case of a motor vehicle so that the power input can be a converted to a greater torque output at lower revs. It is NOT a clutch. In fact it is common industrial practice to fit a converter in conjunction with a dry clutch. In this case the clutch can be fully engaged at low revs while the vehicle pulls away simply by increasing the revs. The conventional clutch is nevertheless used to facilitate the changing of the conventional synchromesh gearbox while on the move. Also common on modern cars is the fitment of a clutch to the torque converter to lock both halves together. In the torque converter itself there is no mechanical link between the drive and driven sides. The drive is purely through the fluid which is thrown from one side to the other. Read the articles to which I provided a link!

Huw

Reply to
Huw