Can’t SHIFT to Reverse, my last hope. Please Help! :(

Hi all. It pains me to report that I?m having no luck with my car (1989 535i). It seems that when I try to shift into reverse or drive, etc. nothing happens. Nada. The car turns on fine and is otherwise, from what I know, okay. Any suggestions? I know it can be a number of things. But some kind of feedback would be great.

It?s difficult for me to get a mechanic to check it out. I?m very hands on, so if it?s anything I can do myself - I shall. But I only know that of which I?ve learned. And since I never had this problem before, naturally, I don?t know what to do. Thanks in advance! I will be hawking for replies.

Reply to
NeoTekk

Is the shift cable broken?

Reply to
SBS

If you have just acquired the car it may be shiftlock - forward or reverse drive can only be selected when the footbrake is depressed.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton