E36 door lock help needed

Hello All, Thanks for all the input over the past year or two. The information I've received has been very helpful! (Not to mention the quantity of trips to my local BMW Stealer the info has prevented!)

I have a 93 325IS that I am having problems with the door locks on the passenger side door. The car has an aftermarket alarm with door locks and remote start. They worked great until sometime last week. The passenger side seems like it's stuck sometimes. I have to hit the unlock button a few times to get it to even let me open the door with the key. It will not unlock at all with the remote. I took the door panel off and could not see anything "obvious".

(PS Does anyone know of a good glue to put the parts of the door panel back together. They completely separated a little too easily when I took it off.)

Thanks, Wayne K.

Reply to
Wayne K.

Sounds like the door lock actuator to me. May need replacing due to wear and age.

Reply to
bimbim

Is there some way to test it? The listing on BavAuto.com gives Part Number "67 11 1 387 726" and says they are for use on either the left and right doors? Should I swap mine to see if the problem follows it?

Help :-)

-Wayne K.

Reply to
Wayne K.

It should also lock via either front door key. Try from both front doors and check all motors work at the same speed. If one is persistently slower, try cleaning (and re-greasing) the connector to it. The system works by sending a timed pulse to all motors, so if one is sluggish in operation through low volts or friction etc it may not complete its cycle.

But they can and do fail.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Swapping might be a lot of work. See if you can disconnect the terminal and try run a 12V supply to it. Or maybe check if pulse is getting to it using a voltmeter. SOmetimes when moist seeps in the solenoid it causes oxidations that inhibits the shaft from moving freely. But if the wire wound or coil inside actuator is burnt (old age), just replace it.

Reply to
bimbim

Most are motors rather than solenoids these days. More efficient.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The large outer panel uses clips that cost about $0.50, and each door takes

10 if I remember right. The inner panel is strange, it has nipples that poke through holes in the large panel, and are then melted to hold the panel in place. I see no reason at all why the inner panel can't be stuck on with hot-glue from a glue gun.

As for the locks, my guess is they need some lubrication.

Reply to
J Strickland

Guys, Thanks for all the help. It was the door lock actuator. I swapped the one from the drivers side door and it worked fine. I got one for a local bone yard for 20.00. :-) It wasn't too much work as I already had the door panels off. (See my new post on this subject!)

Thanks Again!

-Wayne K.

Reply to
Wayne K.

My blower fan stopped working on High setting but works fine on the lower settings.. Any ideas what might need replacing?

Also my Anti-Lock light came on on the dash. Any ideas the cause and repair?

Tks in advance.

Reply to
mixdiver