Grrr now my computer is dead

I have a '92 525i Touring Wagon...first the auto tranny dies, get that fixed. Next my license plate lights start going on and off (wire harness on the hatchback). Now I drive home, go out to start my car and my computer is dead :(

I checked the fuses, they seem fine. BTW, can anyone tell me on a 525i what rated fuse I need in the #7 position for the Fog Lights? Mine happened to fall into the crack in the car and dissapear.

So, why would the computer just stop working? The display is blank, totally gone. Is this common? The car has 155k...I guess that means everything starts falling apart? I would appreciate any help...thanks.

Reply to
Scott

Isn't there a map on the inside of the fuse cover that tells you what fuse goes into each socket?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I believe the diagram tells you what the fuse is for, not its rating.

I do have a question regarding the OBC. I am still getting warning signs that my fog light is out, etc., does that mean the on-board computer is working but somehow I am not getting a display? The OBC display is completely gone...was working earlier today. However, I am getting warning messages in the dash. Thanks!

"Jeff Strickland" wrote in news:jt-dnf snipped-for-privacy@ez2.net:

Reply to
Scott

Check the OBC display with a flash light. If you can see the digits, then you simply have a light bulb out.

E34 OBC is easy to remove, check

for info. Brett Anderson KMS

Reply to
KMS - Brett Anderson

Assuming that fuse is only for the fog lamps, they're 2 x 55 watts, so 10 amps would be my guess.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Very cool, that seems to be the problem. Strange that all 3 bulbs went at once...is that normal? BTW, the dealership in town will not sell the tool to remove the radio, is there another place to buy it? Thanks for everyone's help. I am learning way more than I expected about BMW's...thanks to everyone's help here!

"KMS - Brett Anderson" wrote in news:54f35$42b8de31$d8902eb0$ snipped-for-privacy@NLS.NET:

Reply to
Scott

Is it a DIN style mounting with a hole at each corner? If so it's not BMW but universal at the time. In the UK, most accessory shops will have them

- they're simply a pair of 'U' shaped devices made out of steel wire.

If you can find some steel wire that is a near exact diameter to fit the holes, you can make your own. Alternately jiggling with a pair of jeweller's screwdrivers on one side might release that clip and allow that side to be pulled out slightly followed by the other.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not normal, but it *can* happen. I wasted a half day years ago trying to track down a brake light problem that turned out to be two blown bulbs. Consider too that brand new parts can be bad right out of the box. For example, a bad brand new spark plug cost me 2 or 3 hours of looking in the wrong places for a problem one time. I've learned that it's always worth checking the obvious before tearing things apart.

Reply to
Dean Dark

May be wired in series (like Christmas lights), onegoes out they ALL go out.

Reply to
Psycho

I believe that may be the case as they are 6.5V lamps.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Sorry for the delayed reply.

3 bulbs, 2 for backlight of display, 1 for backlight of buttons. It's probable that one of your display lights has been burned out for some time, and now the second has failed.

We see that all the time at the shop. "my headlights just failed" usually means that one has been out for a long time and now the second one has failed.

Radio tool is a 5 sided pentagon. If you can't get it from your local dealer, try another. Or try the web. There are dozens of suppliers, and price is less than $20 last I checked.

Brett anderson KMS

Reply to
KMS - Brett Anderson

Dash messages are from the Check Control Module, CCM, which is totally different to the OBC.

Brett Anderson KMS

Reply to
KMS - Brett Anderson