Help translate info in German for carb electro choke

I have '87 E30 BMW with Pierburg 1B2 carb that needs tune-up. I bought Haynes carb manual, Bentley E30, Haynes and some German E30 manuals, and Pierburg 1B2 manual. I do understand English, but my German is poor.

Can anyone help with translation of a electric chematis of electro choke operation? Or explain to me how it should work? On 1B2 carb choke spring is not heated by coolant, it is only electro heated.

Now I understand that in there are two heating elements in bi-metal housing, and that one is on when the ignition is on. What I do not understand when is other one on. I tested how it works on my car. With cold engine (~5 deg C or ~40 deg F) thermoswitch is open. After couple of minutes it is closed (I do not knew at what temperature), and stays closed at normal engine temperature.

So now both heating elements in bi-metal housing are on. I measured heating elements Resistance, it's ~2-3 ohm.

Now hire is the text that I do not understand, both original in German and my translation (I do not knew if it is correct), along with the link to the drawing:

Die elektrische Verschaltung der Startdeckelbeheizung beim 2B4 Vergaser:

Die Bimetallfeder (1) im Startdeckel (2) wird von zwei Heizelementen (5 und 6) beheizt. Das untere (5) ist bei eingeschalteter Zündung (symbolisiert durch den Schalter 4) in Betrieb. Das obere Heizelement (6) ist von der Stellung des Thermoschalters (3) abhängig. Dieser gibt den Stromweg erst ab 55C frei. Allerdings schaltet er anschließen erst wieder bei 15C ab, so daß die zweite Heizung während der warmen Jahreszeit - wenn die Temperaturen erst gar nicht so weit absinken - häufig gleich vom ersten morgendlichen Motorstart an mitheizt.

Electrical connecting of the electrical choke for the 2B4 carburetor:

The bi-metal spring (1) in the bi-metal housing (2) is heated by two heating elements (5 and6). The lower heating element (5) is switched on when ignition (symbolized by the switch 4) is on. The upper heating element (6) is controlled by the thermal switch (3). This thermal switch goes open circuit starting from 55 deg C. However it is switched off again at 15 deg C, so that the second heating element (during the warm season - when the temperatures do not drop very low) will be usually on from the first morning engine start.

I do not understand what is suppose tho happen at 15 deg C and what at

55 deg C. Can anybody help please?
Reply to
Yvan

Dieser gibt den Stromweg erst ab 55C frei.

This [switches on the circuit] only at (ie. from) 55C.

Allerdings schaltet er anschließen erst wieder bei 15C ab

However (or is it otherwise?) , it switches off once the temperature has increased by 15C

BTW, I tried this on Babel Fish and got the usual garbage!

This releases the

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yvan" Newsgroups: alt.autos.bmw Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 8:06 PM Subject: Help translate info in German for carb electro choke

Reply to
Jo Ling

Nedavno Jo Ling pise:

| Dieser gibt den Stromweg erst ab 55C frei. | | This [switches on the circuit] only at (ie. from) 55C. | | Allerdings schaltet er anschließen erst wieder bei 15C ab | | However (or is it otherwise?) , it switches off once the temperature | has increased by 15C

Doesn't "anschließen" translate as "connect"? But if your translation is correct than this means that thermoswitch should switch one second heating element at 55C, and then switch it off at 70C.

Can anyone confirm that thermoswitch operates like this?

| BTW, I tried this on Babel Fish and got the usual garbage!

I spent a lot of time trying to make sense of BabelFish translations. You do get a lot of garbage, but without it I couldn't translate anything. So for me it's helping.

Reply to
Yvan