I'm really confused!

I apologize everyone but I'm baffled on what models/years have timing chains and which ones have timing belts.

Specifically, does a 96/97/98 328i/328is have a chain or belt?

Also, it seems to me that there's no difference (except year) between a 96 and a 97 328 series is that correct?

Is there some cross reference table somewhere that I could look up so I don't ask any more dumb questions like this?

This is my first BMW and it seems like they have a dizzying array of engine configurations. Much more so than Japanese manufacturers.

-max

Reply to
Max

Michael Yeager

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 10:14:44 -0500, Michael Yeager graced this newsgroup with:

thanks Michael, that's what I thought.

cheers,

-max

Reply to
Max

The twin cam 24 valve engines are all chains. So basically after about '92 or so.

Pretty well none.

John Burn's site is pretty good.

Perhaps because they make a wider range of models - and the engines are the heart of their appeal?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Chain.

Yes, that's correct.

What you are facing in your range of choices is the line between OBD I and OBD II. What you really have is a 4 cylinder and a 6 cylinder. The 4 comes as the M42 and M44, the 6 comes as the M50 and M52. There is also a car called an M (for Motorsport), but that engine is the S50 or S52. In all of these choices, the OBD I cars (before 1996) is the first listed, and the OBD II cars (1996 and after) are the second listed.

You appear to be only interested in the M52. This motor can be had as the

323 or 328. The 323 has a 2.5L displacement, the 328 displaces 2.8L, and both of these motors are essentially the same from a mechanical perspective(a difference such as this can be accomplished by changing the crank shaft and connecting rods).

There is not really a dizzying array of selections.

PS OBD (On Board Diagnostics), I and II are the engine management schemes. OBD II is the better choice, but it comes into play from the 1996 model year, so your search strattles the line -- and hence the extra confusion. As you move into the '99 and later models, the 325 reappears along with the 323, 328, and the addition of the 330.

Shop for your price range, it's far easier than shopping for engines. As a practical matter, most can't tell the diffference in the engines, especially on the daily grind to the office and back.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

So, Jeffy, we've seen the end of you dividing 328 by 325 in the midst of a discussion of engine torque? I recall that you concluded that "the difference was less than 1 percent" LOL

(Yes, the above really happened. Jeffy's not the brightest bulb on the tree.)

Reply to
dizzy

Perhaps so, However, the model which was called a 323 actually had a 2.5 liter engine. I can think of two reasons:

  1. The 323 did not have VANOS on both intake and exhaust valves. The 2.5 liter engine actually had the performance of a 2.3 liter version of the 2.8 engine.
  2. Buyers of the 328 would be upset if they saw how much cheaper the 323 had despite have only 300 cc less displacement.

You should not read too much into those labels. The sheet metal just sits there and lets them put whatever label they wish.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Common knowledge.

Two reasons for what? For Jeffy's idiocy?

The E46 323 does indeed have "double VANOS".

Nope. It had the performance one would expect, given the displacements of 2.5 and 2.8.

Now you're getting warm, although I would not put it that way.

Why would you think that I believe otherwise?

Reply to
dizzy