Faulty thermostat?

Hello again,

I have a 2000 528i. Once in a while I will glance down and see the temperature guage in the red. My first reaction was the car was overheating, but then suddenly the needle went back down in the normal area. Most of the time when this happens I had just started the car. It happened yesterday while I was stuck in traffic. I know the engine was not overheating becuase the needle will go down very fast.

Is this a thermostat going bad?

Please advise, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Mine overheated the first time used the AC. Wasn't even that hot out. Turning the hater on full didn't help much.

Reply to
da.rabb

Well, it's been 13 years since this guy posted and I don't know what he found was wrong. But given those symptoms, I'd suspect a bad instrument panel ground before I'd suspect an overheating issue. Still, those cars are very prone to cooling system problems.

Your 2000 528i overheated the first time you used the AC? Was this 17 years ago, or have you been driving it that long without the AC? How many times have you replaced the water pump in that period anyway?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey