Re: Re: 1995 318ti won’t_start,_is_this_

"malt_hound" wrote: > Summer wrote: > > "malt_hound" wrote: >  > > Summer wrote: >   > > > Taken it to BMW dealer twice and of course > it won?t act up >  > > for them. >   > > > Doesn?t start sometimes and have to wait 20 > minutes or less >  > > before I >   > > > can try it again. All the lights come on > but the engine >  > > won?t turn >   > > > over. >   > > > Anybody ever heard of this or know what it > could be? One >  > > thing it is >   > > > not is key chip-or so I?m told. >   > > > >  > > Right. I believe that the symptom for the EWS (key > chip) is >  > > the engine >  > > turns over but won't catch. Your problem sounds > more like a >  > > starter >  > > solenoid of physical keyswitch problem. Does it > make any >  > > clicking noise >  > > at all when you move the key from position 2 (run > position) to >  > > position >  > > 3 (momentary start)? >  > > >  > > -Fred W > > > > It makes no clicking noise but all the electrical stuff > still works. I > > know this sounds crazy, however it happens most often when > the weather > > is hot and muggy. > > > > > Well, I need to make a correction. I broke out the wiring > diagrams and > on the starting circuit page there it is, plain as day: The > EWIS2 > (Electronic Immobilizer Control) module works by interrupting > the > circuit from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid. So, > it would > be the most likely reason you are getting the symptom that you > are. > > One input to the EWIS2 module is the automatic transmission > range switch > on cars fitted with an automatic. If yours is an auto I would > try > jumpering out that switch before I did anything else. If that > does not > resolve it, you could see what happens when you jumper from > pion 1 to 3 > on the EWIS2 module (bypassing it). > > -Fred W

What about a manual transmission? Would it still be the same switch?

Reply to
Summer