Your opinion please

I agree whole-heartedly - it's finding the shop you're confident in regardless of where it's located, after all driving there is half the fun (the other half is driving back!) Another quick question - did the replacement water pumps have the nylon impeller or a metal one?

Reply to
maurice

ONTARIO AUTO COLLISION

LORENZO PELLICCIOTTA

2212 WYECROFT ROAD

(905) 847-2595

(905) 847-5890 FAX

Speak to Lorenzo (the owner).

Reply to
tech27

The other aspect of the "hasn't gone bad yet" argument is that they changed the gasoline formulations in NA so that there isn't as much sulphur any more, so the problem is gone.

Not sure *I'd* want to be the one gambling on that mind you, I haven't seen much serious evidence to that effect.

I've also heard from weak sources that there are different sulphur levels from different manufacturers and different geographic areas.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody

Pretty cold up here in Canada, my boss's block was replaced under the program, owned since new.

BMW had used Nikasil for a decade in bike engines, imagine their shock when all this trouble happend in the car motors that ran cooler.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody

That's why I put the question mark. It's obviously some form of chemical reaction, so could be it happens more at lower temperatures?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes. They're hardly rare, so it makes sense to get one which has been fixed. Unless at such a low price it makes the gamble worthwhile.

In the UK, the problem appeared to be confined to cars using imported petrol - ie that not refined in the UK. Sometimes referred to as 'supermarket petrol' since they tended to buy fuel from anywhere at the best price.

I'm surprised there hasn't been chapter and verse on *exactly* what caused the problem.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This is about the closest, mind the wrap

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:fRbZTyYl1wcJ:

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:fRbZTyYl1wcJ:

Although the page comes up, all the links give 'not found'

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:fRbZTyYl1wcJ:

It's just a cached copy, the original seems to be missing. Probably can be dug up someplace; I remember it being intact at one point.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody

has any one heard of 20W50 (Castrol) oil? apparently was used for oil changes for about a year.

Reply to
maurice

"maurice" wrote

Nothing wrong with it. That weight was recommended in the early '90s. I have Castrol 20W50 in my '91 525i/M50.

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

Yes, It's dino juice (non-synthetic) and castrol calls it "GTX". It ios good stuff, if it is the right grade for the car. I believe that BMW calls for 20W50 if the emp is high enough (never gets that cold).

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

...and of course "emp" is secret squirrel code for temperature. ;-)

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

In the UK, it's at the lower end price wise of dino oils. Of course, 'GTX' has changed its spec over the years - like Mobile 1, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)