2001 DHS

Anyone else dissatisfied with the 2001 Cadillacs? Mine has been most disappointing.

Within the first 60K miles, motor mount failure, power window clanks, seat heat pads failed, wiring in rear door failure, chrome on wheels peeling, paint worn off radio controls, some sort of ignition LEDs failed, steering centering sensor failed, cassette tape in radio failed

Goodbye GM, hello Maxima.

Reply to
Don Schmidt

Hello Don:

I own two Cadillacs. (1995 Seville STS & 2004 DTS). Both cars have had major overhauls. I bought both cars used.

The STS was purchased from a used car lot. I ended up spending about what I paid for it over the course of 4 years. The STS finally is in great condiiton after having the radiator replaced, new hoses, new fuel injection system, complete engine rebuild, repaired exhaust system, new battery, new brakes, tuneup, and two aftermarket window motors, new paint job, and a variety of other things. I put so much money into that car I cannot afford to sell it. Now I look at my STS and know I can drive that beast with confidence knowing it will not fail anytime soon. It has 132,000 miles on it, and drives like it had came off a Dealerships new car lot.

The 2004 DTS has run great since I purchased it from a Cadillac Dealership in December 2006. This car is still under warranty until it reaches 100,000 miles or December, 2009, whichever comes first. The motors on all the windows failed at separate times, the original battery became toast, the right front wheel shock broke, the motor mounts broke, the PCM Module broke and a new computer was ordered, the fuel injection system needed a 75,000 mile maintenance. There may have been other small items, but I cannot remember which. The Cadillac Dealership warranty that was included with the purchase save me thousands of dollars. The DTS is now in the body shop being repainted due to some vandal "keying" the car's body. I guess that person had nothing else better to do than to destroy a great looking car. It is a good thing that my insurance covered that, otherwise I would have been out of almost three thousand dollars.

The bottomline is that if you own a Cadillac, be prepared to pay when it comes to having it serviced. Parts and labor for it is very expensive.

Peace,

famous

famous21

The current 2001 DHS is my third new Cad; '85 Seville, then a '93 60 Special and now the 2001 DHS. By far, the '01 is of very poor quality; no excuse by GM.

[...]

I have owned 3 Cadillacs:

1989 Deville - Bought it 2 years old still under warranty. Drove it to 2000 and gave it to a foster care facility that drove it five more years without a problem. I had to replace one motor mount on it.

1992 Seville - Bought four years old, paid $12,000 for it, and drove it out to 140,000 miles. Sold it to a "gang Banger" for $2,000. He put new rims and white walls on it. Still looked pretty good! I needed to replace one oxygen sensor.

2000 Seville - Bought it in 2002 for the amount owed ($15,000) under warranty. It has 96,000 miles on it and has had two problems: 1) A short under the manifold due to deteriorating insulation ($150) - they just taped it up and 2) The crank position sensor failed - $400 to replace.

Overall they have been trouble free. HOWEVER: I have a 2000 Ford Ranger that has never had a problem in 95,000 miles and a 2000 Corvette with 45,000 miles that has never had a problem, but it is still young.

I will buy another Made in USA car because I do not want our dollars "trickling down" to foreign countries. This is part of the mess we are in right now. Sorry for the political commentary!

Bob Drake Alexandria, VA 22310

Reply to
Blue C5

Hello Bob:

I agree with your commentary. I have owned both foreign (Honda Prelude, Audi, Fiat) and American built autos, and in my view, nothing compares to a well made powerful american car. I will never buy another foreign car. We need to help the workers of america, and the "Big Three" automakers should return the manufacturing jobs to the USA, although I doubt they will do so any time soon.

Peace,

Reply to
famous21