P0741 code

I have a 2001 DHS with a service engine soon light on. The code returned P0741 (torque converter solenoid). The transmission has been behaving normally except for a whine that it has had for at least 2 years when running at over 2000RPM (the dealer checked it and said that there was no problem as recently as 6 months ago).

I have obtained highly variable information from several shops, this ranging from trying to replace the solenoid alone (which involves partially dropping the transmission), replacing the entire transmission (!), replacing the solenoid and the torque converter; and doing nothing (with only the loss of a few mpg resulting).

The car (which I love) has 110K miles on it and I would like to keep it for a few more years (I can't afford to buy a new one and the used ones that I have seen don't do much for me). I am taking it to the dealer on Monday (3 days from now) and see what they say. I trust the service rep (he told me on the phone that the transmission can probably be fixed and not require replacement).

I am not sophisticated with cars, so try and make replies fairly simple if possible :-)

Many thanks in advance,

Bob Robert A. Fink, M. D. Neurological Surgery

2500 Milvia Street Suite 222 Berkeley, CA 94704-2636 USA 510-849-2555

********************************** NOTE: The material above is not "medical advice". Medical advice can only be given after an in-person contact between doctor and patient.

Reply to
Robert A. Fink, M. D.