67 Camaro - Plugging Smog Pump holes in Exhaust Manifold

I have a question about removing the A.I.R. Pump smog tubes from the exhaust manifolds on a 1967 Camaro (originally from California). After removing the exterior plumbing, I happened to notice (when I removed one of the exhaust manifolds) that each hole I'd be plugging, has an approx 4" tube desending into the exhaust ports on the engine

Can someone tell me if I should remove these 4" tubes when plugging these holes? And why? Shoudl I leave them so the plug has something to seal against? Or shoudl these tubes not be there if I'm going to plug their holes?

Thanks! Richard

Reply to
richard0291

Wiggle the tubes out with a screwdriver. Then put pipe plugs in the holes. Save all the smog stuff. Someday you may need them.

Al

Reply to
Big Al