TCC Lockup help

I've never done any serious work to a car before, so if I sound mentally challenged please bear with me. I have an '89 IROC that was a 350 that I put a stroker kit in as well as changing the cam and putting 2.02/1.60 valves in. (Also zero decked, w/flat top pistons) Being the beginner that I am I already know, too late some of the mistakes that I've made. (1) I didn't degree in the cam, trusting the marks on the sprockets. This may or may not be an important error since I'm not building for competition. (2) More serious, since my harmonic balancer wouldn't fit over my timing cover without the timing tab being removed, guess what? I naively assumed I could time it by ear a'la' '60's style. (Crap!) Aside from the obvious timing problems that I'm having, my torque converter won't lock up. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks, Joe

Reply to
Joe

  1. Don't worry about the cam. It runs, and it's not too often you run into problems with the cam being that far out of tolerance.
  2. No, you need the correct timing pointer.
  3. The tranny likely won't lock up because you probably have a trouble code set, or a burned gauges fuse. Does your lights warning sound when you have the car running and turn the lights on? Does your gas gauge report incorrectly? If so, then the fuse is a gonner. How about your SES light? Is it on?
Reply to
Mr. Floppy