95 S-10 Lack of Power

95 S-10 (93K) lacks power at speeds up around 50+. Especially noticeable when you accelerate. Check engine light comes on once in awhile, but never stays on after parking. Idle is fairly smooth. Around town driving seems OK.

Have replace the following recently: oxygen sensor fuel filter cat converter wires/plugs within the last year EGR value has been 'cleaned twice' in the past 2 years

What else could be causing this?

TIA

Reply to
Jim Becker

Check the ECM for error codes and it'll TELL you where the problem is coming from. The SES light coming on means "hey bozo, I've found something wrong and have stored a code to tell you what it is." Autozone scans codes for free.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Thanks!

I went to my local Autozone and they said the light had to be on (drive up and leave it running) before they could check it. Maybe I was talking to a rookie.

Reply to
Jim Becker

Yes you were, if if has been on in the last few days it will have a code stored for sure.

Reply to
Scott M

My POS Chevy is having issues and I was told the same thing by the dealership -check engine light needs to stay on for a code reading.

Reply to
Xavier

Reply to
Scott M

Scott is right, and whoever is telling you the light needs to be on is an idiot. With nothing more than a paperclip I pulled codes from my 88 S-10 4 days after they were set. The computer stores them. The one caveat to this is you loose your codes if your battery has been unhooked since the code was set (actually takes 10-15 seconds with no juice I'm told).

Big Chris

Reply to
Big Chris

yes, how stupid can people be, go to an actual mechanic, and they will hook the scan tool up to your obd port under the dash. Pay them 25$ or so, and get the right answer, perferably a Snap On scanner, since they are the latest and greatest.

Reply to
Kiel Uyttenhove

--------------------- I would just go back to AutoZone and talk them into *just trying* to get the code ;) And write it down, come back here and someone will know what it is.

Reply to
Scott M

As everyone else has said, they're full of shit. They can be checked for weeks after the code has been set.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Doc, '95 was the transistion year between obd 1 & 2. My 95 S10 is labelled OBD-1 but has the 16 pin connector. Autozone wasn't able to read the DTC on mine so I bought a unit

that uses the laptop to record engine parameters, including any codes that were stored. Turns out even though my 95 was labelled OBD-1 most of the parameters could still be read, including trouble codes that had been stored. Like others have said, the SES light did not have to been on.

Reply to
DonW

Don,

What codes did you pull from the PCM?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Doc it's been over a year ago and don't recall exactly. The DTC was related to a egr problem. I had recently replaced the intake manifold gasket and a small chunk of carbon had lodged in the egr pintle and wouldn't let it close. Figured I had dislodged it when replacing the gasket. In any case cleaning the egr valve fixed the problem of rough idle and reduced low speed performance.

Reply to
DonW