Brake Question

Two questions (as I'm rotating my wheels today)....

I've posted a photo of my left front brake pad. From what limited knowledge I have, it appears to have quite a few miles left on it. Any opinions?

Also, There is a stabilizer shock on the pass. side rear axil of my 1997 Chevy S-10. No one ever talks about this. Does it ever need to be replaced?

Reply to
Todd Copeland

"Todd Copeland" wrote

Looks like that pad has a few miles left on it. What about the inner pads? They will be the pads that have the wear sensor, check and see how close that is to the rotor.

How about a picture of it? I don't recall the rear axles having any sort of extra stabilizer shock on them from the factory. Maybe it was installed after the fact?

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

The same thickness as the outside. Thanks

It's all I can think it would be... but I'm not sure what type of movement it would correct. Looks OEM to me:

(not the best picture)

Reply to
Todd Copeland

It controls wheel hop, similar to a traction bar. If the truck shudders when you accelerate, especially when a tire spins, replace it.

Reply to
John Alt

"Todd Copeland" wrote

Yep, that's OEM. Pretty rare setup as far as I know. I'm under these trucks all day long, and I don't recall seeing that. Perhaps it's a special option package in certain years.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

do you have the S10 Xtreme up in Canada, Ian? afaik they all got that kicker shock and they're is a blue million of them around here (Maine)

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

I did some reading and from what I can tell, they normally come only on sticks, not automatics. From what the guy at the tranny place that I use said, sticks on the S-10 V6 are rare.

Reply to
Todd Copeland

"Bret Chase" wrote

I think we do have them, but they are quite rare. At least, we don't see many in the shop.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

umm.. you don't just judge a brake pad by the thickness. take it off. it might be all cracked up or divots or other damage to the actual pad. just cause it's thick doesn't mean it's good.

Reply to
Motorbret

ummmm, sure you do, you dont just pull the brakes apart at every tire rotation for the hell of it.

Reply to
Scott M

"Motorbret" wrote

Actually, all things being equal, that's about all I do when inspecting brakes. As far as grooves or damage to the pad, that's usually mirrored on the rotor surface. A separating pad can usually be detected without having to remove the pad. A "brake inspection" only pays so much, you start taking the pads right off on a 4 wheel disc vehicle, you might just as well replace them. No customer will pay the labour involved to actually remove the pads to inspect them.

I'm a slave to the clock, and to what little amount of labour dollars that most customers want to pay for "inspections".

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

That 3rd shock is to prevent axle-hop under hard acceleration. It's generally found on V6/manual units.

RM

Reply to
richard6121

I thought teenage yuppies only lived around me? hehe

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

"KJ" wrote

It's funny, no sooner did we have this discussion about the Xtreme's and the rear axle shock, what rolls into my bay this morning? An Xtreme with the V-6 and manual trans "and" the kicker shock. (grin)

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

And then the stoner teen rolled out of the driver's seat!

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ