F-150

I was bored this evening and I decided to look into the F-150's "most torque in class". Ford says it's class is "*Class is full-size pickups under 8,500 GVWR, starting below $45,000."

ok.. fine.... here's the 5.4 triton's specs (which I had to dig quite deeply to find a torque number)

5.4L TRITONT 90-degree V8 SOHC SEFI 3-valves per cylinder, 300 @ 5000 (HP),365 @ 3750 (TQ)

and here's what I find at

on a 2003 Sierra Denali (7200 GVWR, $42,140 base price)

Engine, Vortec 6000 V8 SFI (325 HP [242.4 kW] @ 5200 rpm, 365 lb.-ft. [499.5 N-m] @ 4000 rpm) GM's Vortec Site shows 370TQ/4000RPM

it seems Ford's "best torque in class" is a bit mis leading... they claim

80% of peak torque at 1k RPM. now doing my best guestimating on the exact number for the Vortec 6000
puts the 6000 at 300ft lbs at 1k rpm which is 81%. so...... this puts the Denali squarely within the F-150's "class" and the Denali's got more HP *AND* torque... lowend or otherwise.

my point.....just passing on info and I had been wondering why a solid torque number was so hard to find esp. when they were touting it so heavily.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Somehow,on Sat, 4 Oct 2003 23:28:46 -0400, "Bret Chase" managed to spout out:

wow, you must have been bored! it's all about marketing...

Mike `02 Silverado 2500HD extended cab-long bed

Reply to
Janitor Boy Jr

It is very close, looks like the Ford might have more torque at lower RPM....You would have to see the torque/hp curves on them both side by side......Dude, you were bored! :)

urves.htm) puts the 6000 at 300ft lbs at 1k rpm which is 81%.>

Reply to
Scott M

Next time you get really REALLY bored, try to dig up HP and TQ specs for the Dodge trucks. I don't think it exists on their site!

urves.htm) puts the 6000 at 300ft lbs at 1k rpm which is 81%.>

Reply to
Trey