leakdown tester, how 2?

Greetings,

I bought a leakdown tester at Harbor Freight, which may be the problem :-)

I have read and understand the process, but never done it, until now. Got my compressor set at 80psi, attach it up, set the engine to TDC on the compression stroke for number one, and attached the tester to the cylinder.

What happens is, that the directions tell me to open the pressure valve until the leakdown gauge reaches 0, or the position marked as SET.

When I open the valve, the leakdown gauge goes around to the top of the settings, at 0, but the input gauge, is only reaching

20psi........ If I open the input to the full 80psi, the leakdown gauge wraps around way past the 0 point, and pins all the way up high, making it useless.

Should there be away to calibrate the leakdown gauge? I am just not sure if I am missing something that is required, as at 20psi, there is no leaking of consequence, and for me to set the leakdown to 0, seems an odd thing to do.

I would have thought I should set the input to 80psi, and the leakdown percentage would read on the leakdown gauge.....

If anyone has done this, seen it, or wants to take a guess, I am up for all the help I can get.

Thanks in advance.

John

Reply to
John

Thanks Dan. That does help, because I am trying to learn if this tester even works, and from what people are telling me, it is not working properly. At least now I understand what is -should- do, so that helps me get it figured out.

Much obliged for you help.

John

Reply to
John

My experience with leakdown testers is with a Snap-On unit. First you hook the air supply line to the unit (from Compressor) Then you dial the gauge till it reads "0" Then you screw the adapter into the spark plug and then connect the tester to the adapter. Then it reads cylinder leakage when cylinder is at TDC compression stroke.

Reply to
Dan Calhoun