Mellencamp, Jena and Chevrolet

I've been a loyal GM truck buyer. 92 GMC Sierra, 99 Silverado, 2004 Silverado. But I believe I've bought my last GM truck.

I'm sure you all know that John Mellencamp has jumped into bed with Chevy "The dream is still alive..." and I actually like most of Mellencamp's stuff. But his new video, "Take Down Your Nooses, Jena" is completely irresponsible.

"An all white jury hides the executioner's face / Oh oh oh Jena / Oh oh oh Jena / Take your nooses down "

While I respect an artist's right to say whatever he wants without fear of censorship - I also have the right to spend my money with a company that isn't supporting an individual who, in my opinion, is attempting to profit by fanning the flames of racism.

If Mellencamp is still affiliated with Chevy by next spring, I will be buying elsewhere.

Reply to
ranieri

Seems kinda silly to me to base whether you spend 24K on a Ford versus Chevy on who they have making commercials for them.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

It's called putting your money where your mouth is.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

In another newsgroup I *just* got finished saying that in the dark ages of the 1950's, when I graduated high school, we were taught critical review, but that since then it seems to me kids have been taught to let emotions run their lives. For sure, you can see lots of that in the newsgroups.

I'm glad I was born in time to catch the critical review lessons in school and I feel sorry for those who grew up with the other lessons.

Reply to
nonsense

No it is not. It is called stupidity.

You reward manufacturer's/vendors for the product they provide, not for their politics.

Do a little reading.

Reply to
nonsense

The manufacturers take it seriously, that's what they pay big bucks for personalities . It may be interesting to see if it has a negative effect with other people,

Reply to
PhilO

There are usually a small handful of complainers but it makes no difference in the end.

In some other places what offends you may very well work to improve sales.

Reply to
nonsense

You may be old, but don't underestimate the power you have.

Reply to
ranieri

Regardless of age, I am 1 of however many buy the product that year. How many individuals do you suppose my input here, or anywhere for that matter, encourages to modify their purchasing decisions? When I buy one brand instead of some other, nobody comes beating down my door asking why I chose the brand I bought since it makes no difference to anyone, let alone manufacturers.

Sales is purely a numbers game. TV and print ads bring the buyers to the dealership doors. Damn few ever walk out and say, "I'm going across the street to buy Brand X because I don't like what you've showed me."

I have the power of 1 among many millions where it comes to automotive purchase decisions. People will walk in to a dealer "just to look" and leave in a new purchase. When the salesman is doing his thing the consumer always loses perspective of everything outside the immediate area they're in, and they leave convinced they made a really good decision, and defend that decision for the entire time they own the vehicle.

Do a little reading on "cognitive dissonance".

google 1,190,000 hits for "cognitive dissonance".

When a person screws up and buys something they really didn't intend to buy, they justify it by lying to themselves about what a really great deal they got and how perfectly the vehicle suits their needs. But then never leave one dealer to buy from a competitive brand. The brand and model selection is almost always made before the customer walks in the door. All that's left is color and options and price, unless they're willing to wait for a car that has yet to be built. And if the car they want is in stock, they'll usually accept a color they didn't have in mind so they can drive it home today.

The power I have? 1 in some millions. But believe as you will, I personally have no need of "power".

Reply to
nonsense

Any musician who makes a living writing and playing music has a right to do so without being labeled some kind of profiteer. You can be sure that one with the integrity of John Mellencamp does not write such songs with record sales in mind. Racism must always be vigorously exposed, regardless of the consequences

Reply to
Battleax

"nonsense" wrote in message news:85426$470a52bf$49e5d0e$ snipped-for-privacy@DIALUPUSA.NET...

We will have to agree to disagreee then. But I leave you something to ponder. You do not want to subsidize yet you shop at WalMart,. I put 15 years in with Sears. Pay wasnt so great as I could have made at an independent shop, but when raising kids, the medical coverage made up for it big time. I bought a house during that time, paid tuition, attended training for my self out of pocket. Sears prices paid for that. Walmart on the other hand offers none of that, and the HR department is trained in pointing employees to social services such as food stamps and Aid for Dependent Children. So you see buy supporting those companies you are in fact doing just that that you say you dont want to do. You pay taxes to provide services for their employees they wont pay enough to live on while their profits go through the roof and they drive their compitetion out of business. Suggest you read the WalMart Effect if you havent. Its one of many out there but it is a real eye opener about how WalMart has driven many manufacturing jobs over seas. Its also amazing that when Sears was trying to dictate prices to theiur suppliers in the late 50's to mid 60's they got their butts in a major jam, but Wally world does the same with impunity. Kinda like Ford,with the Focus which is entirely produced in Mexico by workers making $3 and hour, no benifits at all, Yet it costs as much as the Caviler/Cobalt manufactured here in the USA. Say good by to Freightliner, the name is going bye bye. Mercedes bought them out some years ago, its going to be changed to Dimler USA and production moved south of the border. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I'm sorry Battle but I dont see the Racism there. What I saw was some kids who did something really stupid, ie the nooses, trying to reserve a bit of turf for themselves. What followed was 6 people beating 1 person up to the point he passed out and required hospitalization. If there was racism it was in that act. The same racism displayed in LA when a black mob pulled a white trucker out of his cab and beat him so bad he cant hold a job any longer. The same racism I saw as a youth when three young men pulled an old man out of his milk truck(how many here remember those things) and were beating him to death while a fourth was smashing every bottle in the truck because he couldnt deliver milk to them because of unpaid bills. Of course racism exsists. It exsists in all races, but to hear the media reports and the Farrakhans and Jessie Jacksons and Al Sharptons, and bleeding hearts like Mellencamp and Billy Joels and their ilk tell it, there is no racism in the black community. Six beating one is just a school yard fight between boys. And before any one jumps I feel the same way about songs like Toby Keith's Courtesy Of the Red White and Blue. They most diffinetly write them with record sales in mind. I like Toby but I cringe everytime that song is played.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Where I live, membership in the Chamber of Commerce (entry level is about $125 a year) entitles one to group health insurance at a very favorable rate. But I do understand what you're getting at.

No they didn't. You paid for it through making below independent shop rate income in exchange for the fringe benefits.

Sears prices paid for a bunch of losing side businesses which they've gotten rid of since, including the giant Sears Penis standing in downtown Chicago which was a losing proposition before they ever laid the first line on a drawing for the blueprints. Now they've merged with Kmart, the original "discount" chain that everyone initially hated as much in the

1960's about as much as folks now hate Walmart.

I will say that the Kmart model got rid of what was called "Fair Trade" pricing well before Walmart grew large enough to matter. Fair Trade was a euphamism for price fixing.

I haven't ever met a mom&pop store that was even remotely competitive even with slightly larger stores in the same business. This *is* what the American business model is all about.

Look at how Walmart got its start. There's a documentary about it. The man started with nothing and a brain. With a similar brain, any mom&pop could have done the same thing.

I'm aware of all the implications but I have a different take on it than you do. Who is to say, among honorable men, who is right and who is wrong?

At some point in time Walmart will become the 21st century Standard Oil Cartel and will be dissolved. That will last maybe a century, like petroleum has, before shrinking back into non-competitive entities like big oil has and the US telephone system is heading into again in less than half that time.

So where are Craftsman and Sears branded tools manufactured today? One of the last foundries in the US was at Neenah Wisconsin, one of the greenest states in the US. Other than vest pocket operations I don't think we have any left.

Under both Democrat an Republican administrations, I must add.

I know a couple of guys who were put out of business by Sears and Wards. It was a great ride early on, but they were broke by the end of that run.

Hungary was advised by the EU against prohibiting foreign takeover of their petroleum business. They've thrown caution to the winds and are retaining Hungarian control over it. The law was passed yesterday. The prospective buyer was Australian.

USA citizens and corporations cannot own critical real estate in many parts of the world, while their people can own any part of the US.

We're doing all of this to ourselves.

We've lost any grip on common sense where national and international trade regulations are concerned. I pretty much belong to the Hayek school of economics. His _Road to Serfdom_ is online in an abbreviated version. Consider that it was written in the 1930's and doesn't manage to address some of today's issues, but I think he had a pretty good handle on stuff.

Answers are always simple till you get really deep into what's happening at all levels.

But I respect your viewpoint and thanks for sharing.

Reply to
nonsense

And what will you do if you buy a Chevy and then they make a commercial with someone you don't like? Sell the vehicle? Unless you are part of a large movement to boycott buying what you would otherwise buy because of their ad you would just be hurting yourself but if that makes someone feel good it's their money.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

They would take it seriously if they knew about it. Unless someone starts a "movement" it's never going to make the slightest difference. It would be far more effective to just write them a letter and buy whatever truck you want.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Also a good concept is "response chord" when analyzing these situations.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Is the fault with WalMart or with our elected reps who refuse to maintain laws to protect American industries and workers?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

No the fault truly lies with the American consumer. Anyone that has turned wrenches for any length of time knows this. Otherwise Yugo would died 3 months after introduction as well as such great cars as Hyundai Excel and its twin sister the Mitsubishi Precis,and the third spin off the KIA and we aint seen nothing yet, wait till the China junk starts selling at $5K for a new car. They are going to fly off the lots. How many times have you had someone with a high end car or truck come into the shop looking for $25 tires for it? I have had Mercedes and BMW owners cry over $99 for a battery that the dealer got over $200 for. In the same token I had more 4x4 brakes jobs coming in the shop then I could keep up with in the late 80's and early 90's.One or two cried at the price I set untill they saw how far I tore it down, cleaned, lubed all the bearings replaced seals, as well as repair the hydraulics and the rotors and replace pads. They were used to places just hanging pads. Word of mouth had me busy. Quality work brought them in. But they are in the minority today.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Response from Chevrolet:

Thank you for contacting us regarding Chevrolet's use of the music of John Mellencamp in its "Our Country, Our Truck" ad campaign. Mr. Mellencamp is an artist, not a spokesperson for General Motors or Chevrolet. He is entitled to his point of view and the freedom to express it, but he does not speak on behalf of GM or Chevrolet. He is the best person to address your concerns about his opinions.

Rest assured that your email has been documented and being reviewed by General Motors. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stand, as opinions from customers are important to us.

I also noticed the domain name boycottchevy.com is available. Hmmmm.

Reply to
ranieri

Yea right, boycott Chevy because you don't like the reality of a particular musician's lyrics, Brilliant!

Reply to
Battleax