NO ONE KNOWS WHAT’S WRONG WITH MY BLAZER

Hopefully someone can help me. I have a 1998 s-10 Chevy Blazer. Over the past two months it has been acting up for me very sparatically. Sometimes it stalls, sometimes as I am accelerating it stops accelerating and backfires as I push on the gas, and sometimes it just deaccelerates on its own. I have had it in the shop for a total of 4 weeks. Problem is they can?t get it to act up often enough to test it. The one code they pulled was that it was too lean... which led them to believe it has to do with fuel control. They started to only see it act up when the fuel level was very low. Well I have kept the tank above a half tank for the past week and it still acts up at high fuel levels. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do or what the problem could be? The auto shop mentioned baffles in the fuel tank and fuel pump- but again they thought the problem occured just with low fuel levels and that is not the case.

Thanks

Reply to
Kat

Sounds like you may have water in the fuel tank. Add several bottle of dry gas gasoline antifreeze and then burn tank really low and they refill with fresh gas and a bottle or two of dry gas and I think it may fix your problem. A water slug in the fuel tank can cause some strange running problems at times that baffle you and most mechs.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

Reply to
Shep

If the baffels which are plastic have broken they adheasive bond to the tank, they float. Thus they will float up to the pick up. if the get around they will lift the fuel float arm.

Stop the stupidity. have the tank dropped and inspected. check the fuel pump wiring (which requires droping the tank) inspect the sending unit. Dissconnect the fuel lines from the engine, disconnect the fuel filter. Blow the lines out with compressed air. Install a new fuel filter. Test the fuel pressure regulator, the injectors, the ignition coil & singal from the distributor magnetic pick ups.

Test the fuel pump while the tank is out. Some times the wires that run to the fuel pump from the sending unit are damaged. Sometimes a bad fuel pump will work intermitantly. Pumps are cheep. I would put a new one in and not have to worry about it. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

No need to go to expense of dropping tank yet and pump can be pressure tested in tank.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

2 hours labor to R-I-R (remove-inspect-reinstall)the tank and answer alot of maybe. Then again I perfer to fix stuff correctly the first time. Charles
Reply to
Charles Bendig

Sounds to me more like you use the shotgun approach and just replace everything you figure it could be. You don't have the first clue what you're talking about

Reply to
Bob

Is that you Bob? Haven't seen you around for ages! Then again I've been rather scarce myself........................

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Hey Doc! LOL.... yup it's me all right. What have you been up to? Any new projects? Bob

Reply to
Bob

The Orginal Poster said the shop doing the work had the truck for 4 weeks. How is dropping a tank, replacing a often overlooked maintance item (fuel filter), clearing out the lines with compressed air, and possibly changing out a suspect part a "shot gun" approach?

I have experianced intermittiant fuel pump failure with OEM as well as replacement electric fuel pumps. I have went to change a suspect pump before just to find the wiring damged on the sending unit, the side in the tank. Instead of horsing around avioding a tank drop, and tossing my hands in the air, saying "I don't know" I would drop the tank.

Not knowing a thing would be so silly as to aviod proper diagonstic & ispection of a issue. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

I've been pretty scarce around here for the past year or so; got back into nitro r/c this past spring and have been spending more time wrenching and racing my "little trucks" than the big ones. It's starting to get cold outside, so looks like I'll be searching for a few winter projects to keep me busy. I'm thinking about building a SPAD (simple plastic aircraft design) or two or four over the winter to get me ready for spring. Pretty nifty things, built using corrugated plastic (like beer and pop signs that are hung in convenience store windows) and yard sticks for the wings, and either aluminum downspout or c-channel aluminum for the fuselage. Should be fun, and should keep my other winter hobby (drinking Jim Beam) in check!

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

While a new fuel filter isn't a bad idea, dropping the tank to replace a $700 fuel pump because it "might" be bad... blowing out fuel lines because... I don't know..... they're contaminated with fuel? We have no reason to believe anything else. And the thought that a loose fuel tank baffle could cause the problem is absurd given the information we have. Intermittent problems can be a bitch, no question about it. But throwing parts at it seldom solve the problem.

Reply to
Bob

$700 fuel pump? My cost $298.82 4 door with other then 18 galllion tank, $319.20 2 door with standard tank. $100 labor to replace. On a part like this, I only mark up $5 dollars to cover fuel for getting the part. If I am not 100% the fuel pump is the problem, or the issue doesn't go away, the labor is cover under the diagnostic fee.

As for blowing out the lines, it will tell you if there is a line blockage, or if there is a line problem. If you have both ends of a fuel line disconnected, what will it hurt?

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yo Bob....

I think for the right money, you can hire this guy to manage your shop.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I haven't heard of that before, but it sounds like fun. I've got a Super Sportster 60 in the basement that hasn't been flown in 4 or 5 years. I'm going to have to find time to fly it again, always something going on though. If you get one of those SPADs flying I'd like to see a picture. Bob

Reply to
Bob

Hey Neil

What could it hurt?

Reply to
Bob

Oh, I dunno...

Are you fond of eating?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I thought I heard you were looking for a new manager. Wouldn't it be nice to get a little more time off? Heck, you could probably retire off all that extra money made on parts runs! Bob

Reply to
Bob

Woo-Hoo... better than the $9.95 oil change!

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Will do! Should have a few built by the end of winter. Whether they'll fly or not is another question.....................

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"