Blower motor shut off with no power

So I have been messing with this darn 1998 Concorde with Auto AC for 4 days now, about 6 months ago the blower motor went on HIGH and wouldnt turn off no matter where the knob was, common problem I hear, well then the ATC readout unit dealy stopped displaying anything but still worked for the temp. Well about a week ago the blower motor just stopped and wouldnt turn on again, I bought a new motor thinking the high constant just killed it but it still dosent work! I am buying a new ATC unit for the car to see if that helps but Im worried Im sinking money into it when its just going to be something more costly. Any suggestions? I looked for fuses but didnt find any that were blown etc. THANKS!

Reply to
331729

The blower motor probably uses a high current resistor "network" to control fan speed. It's located in the ductwork, to benefit from the cooling effect of the air flow. Some of these resistor gizmos have fuses in them, others just rely on a fuse link burning out if it draws too much current. My best guess is that you need to replace the fan speed resistor to bring the motor back to life. When the blower motor was stuck on high, that was the first sign that the resistor thing was starting to go. Next thing that happens is the last resistor blows, and the motor won't run at all. But it doesn't blow the fuse in the fuse box.

Reply to
Dan

Thanks for the reply, however, where can I find a blower motor resistor for a 98 concorde? I cant seem to find it anywhere!

Reply to
331729

Apparently you haven't contacted your local dealer yet

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

As the owner of both a '98 Concorde (with ATC) and a '99 Concorde (without ATC), here's the scoop from someone who's BTDT: (1) The ATC control head display goes blank due to surface mount components popping loose from the p.c. board. They can be resoldered (by someone who knows what they're doing), but it may be just as well to get one from a junk yard. Go to

and drill down for the car and part you're looking for, and you'll find oodles of the ATC controllers for as low as $35 at a place near you (and hopefully you get one without the same problem - if you do, then solder it or have someone competent do so). (2) It's a good thing you didn't spend good money on a blower motor resistor pack, because the ATC system does not have a resistor pak per-se. Instead, it has an ATC Power Module located in the same vicinity (an electronic version of the non-ATC (manual) system resistor pak). You'll also find that at
for peanuts.

I hope you didn't buy any new parts at new part prices yet!

Oh - and here's a photo of the area with the parts that come loose from the p.c. board and that may need to be resoldered to get the display back (R21, R20, R14, C16 in the upper right corner of the photo - remove the p.c. board from the casing to get to them):

Bill Putney

Well Im bout to give up on this crap, the only thing I can find is a 97 resistor which I guess isnt the same thing and my local dealer wants to charge me boatloads for the damn part, I got a new atc unit for $24 but dont think thats going to do the trick.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
331729

No man! You're too close to getting it - I won't let you quit.

One correction to my previous post: What I referred to as the ATC Power Module is called the ATC Blower Control Module.

On car-part.com, for the part, you would choose,"Computer Box Not Engine", then you'll have to choose a sub-category. You'll pick "Temperature (Climate), (underheater)". Yeah - I know - kind of cryptic. The part is the same for '98 thru at least '02 - so try different years one at a time. It will be Chrysler part number

4734913AD or 4734913AE (AE was a later revision of the same part starting in '01 - either will work - ...AE will be from a newer car, so may be a better part). If you go that route, make sure you have them read the Chrysler part number out to you - or you're probably safe if they agree that the part they have is called the ATC Blower Control Module - emphasize to them that it has to be from an ATC system - not from a car with manual temp. controls (otherwise, you'll be getting the resistor pack - not what you want).

HERE IS ANOTHER VERY GOOD ALTERNATIVE: Go to the forums on

There are at least 2 guys on there that routinely strip parts out of junk yards LH cars (Intrepids, Concordes, 300M's - all use the same exact part) and put them up for sale at decent prices, and they maintain a top notch reputation on that site. Plus if they don't have it in hand, they will grab one on their next trip to the junk yard.

They are very familiar with these ATC system parts - they are popular parts because people will often convert from the manual temp. controls to the ATC (which I am getting ready to do on my '99 Concorde) - they often will pull all the components for a complete swapout to convert manual temp. control to ATC. But they also sell the individual parts.

You will want to contact either "Torontofirecaptain" (real name Ross) or Gigamight (real name Jeff) through the private messaging (PM) system on the forums. If you do a search there on their names, you will find where they have items for sale, but better to PM them 'cause they may not list the part you're looking for in any particular thread.

You're so close to getting it working for lack of one inexpensive part - don't give up now.

Bill Putney

If you go the

route, instead of PM'ing Torontofirecaptain or Gigamight, you could just as easily put a "WTB..." (Want To Buy) post in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum there.

I would title it "WTB: ATC Blower Control Module". One or both of those two guys (or possibly additional others) will reply with an offer to sell you one (might be a good oppotunity to pick up some other inexpensive miscellaneous parts for you Concorde once you get hooked up).

Bill Putney

Hi...

I'll second that... course I'm an old retired electrical guy, not a mechanic...

I'll even betcha a dollar against a stale donut that he doesn't have to buy a new module :)

Given that it's now virtually dead odds are much in my favor that he's just lifted some component off the board, and all it needs is a bit of solder re-flowing.

However, having said that soldering nicely is a bit of an art, so it the op (can't write all them numbers for a name) isn't handy at it and/or doesn't have a nice pencil maybe he shouldn't do it. But further bet that he does have if he looks someone in his life like a neighbor or relative or friend who'd be willing to do it for him :)

I like chocolate coated donuts :)

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

UGH? My '95 Concord has ATC which I usually turn off. My wife's Sebring has MTC which I prefer. Maybe I should trade my ATC for MTC.

Reply to
Spam Hater

Well Thanks for the help guys, Im not going to give up I was just a bit pissed that I was told what I bought (resistor) was the right thing even for an ATC car,

I'm going to try the forum and put up a WTB cause the car-parts.com didn't have anything like a blower motor control delay.

Now I know this is super jimmy rigged but hey I'm an electrician sort, the resistor just regulates the voltage going to the motor hence making it speed up slow down, what if I got a simple knob switch, wired it into the positive/negative going into the blower motor control and then put it with the blower motor, ran the knob to the dash and with a simple mount, mounted it on. I know the ATC part wouldn't work but if I cant get this part would that work?

Thanks for all the help again guys I really do appreciate it!

Reply to
331729

[...]

Darn - I really can spell. "...good opportunity...your Concorde..." Was up too late and in too much of a hurry.

Bill Putney

I explained what to look for on car-part.com: "Temperature (Climate), (underheater)" under the "Computer Box Not Engine" main categroy - several show up for the years I mentioned - but because of the ambiguity in the part name and description you do need to make sure it is the right part by talking to junk yard before you buy it.

But going thru DI.net works too.

Bill Putney

So should I expect more to replace other than this blower module? These harnesses Im a bit confused about, I was just going to cut the wire and splice a connector onto it :)

Reply to
331729

Nope - possibly you are confused by my post to Spam Hater who said he prefers manual temperature controls to the ATC. I was telling him about people converting from one system to the other, which would involve either splicing cables or replacing two under-dash harnesses.

The thing about messing with harnesses does not apply to you - you are replacing the ATC control module and the Blower Motor Control module - on a car that already has ATC, they plug into the existing harness without any modifications.

By the way - would you like to sell me the ATC control module that you are replacing since I can probably fix it and use it in the car I plan on converting from manual controls to ATC?

Bill Putney

How the hell do you go about taking out the blower motor control dealy on this thing? I took the passenger seat out for better access (really helps by the way) but that thing seems to have grown onto the car and I dont know how to get it off! Thanks again for your help Bill.

-Kirk- Bill Putney wrote:

Reply to
331729

I've never done it. Go to the How-To linked from DI.net:

There are photos and descriptions. That How-To is to convert from manual controls to ATC, but don't let that confuse you. The part that shows the removal of the resistor mdule and installing of the Blower Motor Control Module (in fact they call it the ATC Power Module - that's where I picked up that name for it on my earlier posts - and in fact that's what Chrysler calls it in the FSM but they call it the Blower Motor Control in the parts lists) will show you how to get the old one out and the new one in.

I think it's two screws and two conectors (the wire harness and the blower motor).

So do you want to sell your bad ATC Control Module to me at a good price since it's broken? I can probably repair it and use it in my '99 Concorde when I do the conversion to ATC.

Bill Putney

If the control head is losing the display you are gonna have to replace the control head before you do anything else. The Blower motor resistor and the control head both will control the speeds of the motor. Replace the control head and more then likely both problems will be fixed. It sounds to me like the control head took a dump and the blower motor is in the default mode.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler tech

Reply to
damnnickname