Challenger

Dodge Announces Pricing for All-new 2008 Challenger SRT8(R)

Auburn Hills, Mich., Thu, Nov 29, 2007 - Dodge announced pricing today for the modern interpretation of the American muscle coupe. The

2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8(R) will arrive in showrooms next spring at a Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $37,995 (which includes $675 destination).

Due to unprecedented demand, Dodge dealers will begin taking orders on Dec. 3 for the limited-edition 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 models. Each will feature a numbered dash plaque and a 6.1-liter HEMI(R) V-8 engine.

2008 Challenger SRT8 models will be available in Black, Silver and HEMI Orange. All will feature dual "carbon-fiber" hood stripes, harkening back to the original Dodge Challenger.

"The 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 offers pure American pony-car muscle," said James Press, Vice Chairman & President - Chrysler LLC. "With styling that stays true to Challenger's original heritage, an abundance of modern amenities and cutting-edge technology, the 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 will deliver the SRT credo of benchmark performance at a tremendous value.

"The Challenger SRT8 is only the beginning of the story, as we'll soon follow with a complete lineup of Challenger models that will offer a wide array of features and deliver outstanding value for our customers," Press added.

Customers may begin placing orders at their Dodge dealer on Monday, Dec. 3. They can expect to take delivery of their vehicle next spring.

The all-new 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 will be built at the Chrysler Canada Assembly Plant in Brampton, Ontario, on the same assembly line with the Dodge Charger, Charger SRT8, Magnum, Magnum SRT8, Chrysler

300 and Chrysler 300 SRT8 vehicles.

Pricing for the complete all-new Dodge Challenger lineup will be announced at a later date.

SRT performance vehicles - including the Dodge Viper SRT10, Dodge Caliber SRT4, Dodge Magnum SRT8, Dodge Charger SRT8, Chrysler 300C SRT8, Jeep(R) Grand Cherokee SRT8, and now, the Dodge Challenger SRT8 - are engineered by Chrysler's in-house performance organization: Street and Racing Technology.

The all-new 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 showcases the renowned, five key aspects of every SRT vehicle: exterior styling that resonates with the brand image; race-inspired interiors; world-class ride and handling characteristics across a broad range; benchmark braking; and standout powertrain. The all-new 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 will unquestionably deliver in all five areas.

Dodge Brand With a U.S. market share of 6.4 percent, Dodge is Chrysler LLC's best- selling brand and the fifth largest nameplate in the U.S. automotive market. In 2006, Dodge sold more than 1.3 million vehicles in the global market. In the highly competitive truck market, Dodge has a 15 percent market share.

Recently, Dodge introduced the all-new 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan with

35 new or improved features including the newest innovation, the Swivel 'n Go(tm) seating system. Dodge is entering key European volume segments with Nitro, Caliber and Avenger. The all-new 2009 Dodge Journey will debut in 2008 calendar year, and will be available outside North America in both left- and right-hand drive in mid-2008. Also in 2008, Dodge will introduce its modern muscle car the all-new Dodge Challenger.
Reply to
Jalapeno

I guess gas is still two bucks where you live. Nice car. Bad timing.

Reply to
Art

Sales of limited edition specialty vehicles like this SRT8 aren't impacted by the price of gas.

On another topic, my understanding is that this car was supposed to be the Charger originally. But Dr. Z and company nixed it for the four door version that went to production. The limited production Challenger is the bone they threw to the car guys when the german version of the Charger sold well enough. The Challenger is the "American coupe" as opposed to the "German sedan". I don't think 2 doors were historically mass sellers. Haven't sedans always outsold coupes?

I hope they don't offer a 2.7 v6 version :o)

I would _really_ like to see a convertible of this built.

Reply to
Jalapeno

Jalapeno wrote in news:6e4ae018-9e12-4999-91b8- snipped-for-privacy@i29g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

That's interesting. Got a source?

Possibly, but the "mortal sin" that most people see Chrysler/Dodge committing is that a muscle/pony/sporty car would never have 4 doors. The Charger should have at least had a 2-door/4-door option.

Actually, having an entry-level 6 would be great for sales. The image without the cost. Just like the V6 Mustang.

Agreed.

Reply to
Joe

I heard it from a soon to be retired from DCX guy at a party around Nov. 2004. Just a rumor, but it sounds plausible enough to me. I can't find anything on the net that confirms it, however.

Bleah. If it keeps sales up, I guess it'd be ok. I'd call it Challenged rather than Challenger, though :o)

Reply to
Jalapeno

I did find a site with pictures of the original Charger concept as a 2 door:

Jalapeno

Jalapeno wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@s8g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

That's been around since 1999; it was supposed to run on compressed natural gas (CNG):

The '99 car is a much better looking one than the current production Charger IMO. Shame nothing ever came of it.

Reply to
Joe

Look real close. It's a four-door.

Larry

: >

: >

: > > That's interesting. Got a source? : >

: > I heard it from a soon to be retired from DCX guy at a party around : > Nov. 2004. Just a rumor, but it sounds plausible enough to me. I can't : > find anything on the net that confirms it, however. : >

: : I did find a site with pictures of the original Charger concept as a 2 : door: : :

Larry

Ok.

Yep.

Reply to
Jalapeno

Must be my monitor. It looks like a two door here. The link Joe provided to the dodge site definitely looks like a four door, though. Thanks.

Reply to
Jalapeno

If gas were $10, the Challenger would be worth it.

Besides, its going to get rather good mileage for its performance level, just like the Corvette, Charger, etc. do.

Reply to
Steve

I think the mere presence of that V6 mustang (and the 2.7L Charger and

300 4-doors, for that matter) grossly cheapens the image of the entire line. Whenever anyone gets a rental Mustang, Charger, or 300, it's probably going to be the POS v6, and that's the image they're left with. The 3.5 V6 is a very nice entry-level engine for the LX cars. Its almost as economical as the 2.7, has a better reliability history, and has enough power that its not an embarassment.
Reply to
Steve

No, that's a 4-door with the rear door handles very neatly disguised in the C-pillars. That styling trick made it a lot more palatable as a

4-door, but still drew a ton of criticism from the Charger purists. Yes, that IS the Charger body they should have built, but it was a one-off show-car based (very) loosely on the LH chassis not the LX, and powered by a compressed-natural-gas version of the 4.7L SOHC v8. The LX has a bit better rigidity and makes a better overall mechanical package.
Reply to
Steve

Not everyone cares about the price of gas. Unless it's 5 bucks a gallon, gas price won't bother me..... Sure I like it lower, we all want cheap gas, but my spending and budgets are not affected until 5 bucks a gallon....

Reply to
The Henchman

Steve wrote in news:fYCdnbjhXoTag9LanZ2dnUVZ_v- snipped-for-privacy@texas.net:

The lower end cars in the lineup make up the bulk of the sales. For example, tons more V6 Mustangs are sold compared to V8s. Without the low end cars, the V8s wouldn't exist.

Reply to
Joe

No. There was a Charger show car, which was a beautiful modern interpretation of the second generation Charger in spite of having too many doors. It was never really nixed, as it was never really anything other than a concept. If it had gone into production, I'd have been saving my pennies for it.

The Challenger show car that led to this was several years later, and IIRC was even after the current production Charger went into production.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

If you look very, very carefully at

you can see the outline of theleft rear door. It had four.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

It was already built - 8 years ago:

That car was shown at the 2000 Detroit auto show (January 2000) and possibly also the New York auto show (March? April) but then it was yanked from the show circuit that year.

Chrysler was ready to build this LH-based 300 as a RWD car, complete with V-8.

The Germans nixed it - thinking it would compete too heavily with their Merc's.

This car was exactly what Chrysler needed during the poor sales years of 2003 - 2004. They would have wiped the floor with the competition.

Instead the Germans were too busy wasting time and money retooling for the ulgy LX platform - as a way to move their shitty daimler transmissions and suspension parts and stuff them into the LX platform.

Reply to
MoPar Man

Yea?

So what's it gonna cost in Canada (where the damn thing is made) ?

$50k?

Reply to
MoPar Man

A source?

Like the defunct CarTruck website? (who here remembers that) ?

More like the Challenger is the bone thrown to Dodge dealers.

Like I said in a previous post, they already built it.

Reply to
MoPar Man