Best Rated threads in Classic Cars - UKshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Citroen DS 23 Petrol Tank Removal
I've completely stripped down my DS 23 ready for welding but can't work out how to detach the petrol tank from the fuel line. So far as I can see there is a continuous polyethylene pipe running...

1967 Land Rover with 2.6L Rover motor with a Weslake Head
I am working on my Tan 1967 Land Rover Station Wagon 109. Alex from British Motor in Sacramento CA USA is reviewing the Motor and setting tappets for me. He calls ask why due you have a Rev Limit...
9
9

Hepolite piston numbers for Ford Crossflow
Does anybody know of online access to an AE Hepolite catalogue which could help me identify some 1960/70's piston sets I have - I'm fairly sure they are Ford Crossflow, just not sure which versions!...
2
2

Zebrazone windscreen W.T.B.
Hi Guys, I want to purchase a Zebrazone Toughened windscreen suitable to fit a Triumph TR4A. This type of screen is no longer available new. Apparently Spitfire and TR6 have the same screen. I do not...
24
24

clutch adjustment on Triumph Herald
Is there any way to adjust the travel on the clutch pedal on a 1969 Triumph Herald 1200. At the moment the clutch does not dis-engage until about 1" from the floor (without carpets), resulting in...
11
11

Are Mountney/Astrali steering wheels interchangeable?
As per the subject. I have an 11" Astrali but I'm struggling to turn it and want to go to 13". There seems plenty of choice on Ebay, but I'm wondering if those 6 small holes and the large centre hole...
8
8

Smiths Tacho wiring problem
Hi, I've just bought a Smiths tacho for my mini, but now I've received it, I've got no idea of how to wire it in. On the front it has a model number RVI 1003/00. On the rear it has the following...
2
2

gearbox on Rover P4 classic
Hi, About the manual gearbox of my Rover P4: First gear is not synchornized. Selecting first from neutral is -somtimes- difficult (you must 'seek and find the entrance') and sometimes very smooth.....
14
14

Essex V6 Engine Oil
Hi all, I am about to change the engine oil in my Mk1 3000GT Capri. Each year I have run it on old style 20/50 oil as I?ve figured that was the oil it was manufactured for so I?ll use it. I realise...
6
6

BMC C series gearbox code
I've got a 1958 Morris Isis and I've just bought an overdrive gearbox that was fitted to a Wolseley 6/90. This should be a 4-speed gearbox but unfortunately I suspect that it is a 3 speed overdrive...
16
16

Triumph Spitfire 1978 speedometer
My original Smith speedometer broke down last summer. I replaced the speedo cable, thinking it was the source of the problem, but it is not the case. Now here's my question: can those speedometers be...
5
5

Rover P6 ballast resistor
Anyone know where it's hidden on a 1973 2000TC? I've just bought an Ignitor electronic ignition kit and Flamethrower coil and the instructions tell me to discard the ballast resistor, something that's...
7
7

loud MGB fuel pump
I have a '69 MGB Roadster project car that I am slowly restoring. The fuel pump makes an awful racket (tappity-tappity-tappity) constantly and I would like it to stop. The car runs nicely and there...
4
4

MG TC restoration
My father may pass on his MG TC to me since he cannot afford to keep it in storage any more. We now have to decide if I take over the storage costs, sell it, or restore it (then maybe sell it)....
8
8

What does a worn syncro/baulk ring look like?
They can 'look' perfect but be worn to the point where they are ineffective. Assuming the rest of the hub is ok but the gears crunch it's safe to say it's worn.
9
9

Realigning a Spitfire bonnet
What is the bleepin' wizardry requried to do this? Left side was too far in, causing a rubbing against the door, leaning to a bit of a bend(fixed). Other side was too far out, and "hooking" when I try...
3
3

Lead replacement additives - advice, please! (Essex V6)
If only doing low mileage use Shell Optimax
13
13

2cv - Convert to LHD? (2023 Update)
Hi, Has anyone ever converted a 2CV to LHD? If so, how difficult is it? I know I could just buy an LHD 2CV, but it's a bit more complicated than that :-) My dad lives out in Greece, he's just been...
5
5

Bastards.
They wrote off a very respectable Zephyr MkII on 'The Royal' tonight. Not the usual cutaway where we find the car with 'steam' coming out of it and covered in mud, but well and truly f**ked. The...
26
26

Lucas Rear lens number
Can anyone on this NG advise what car the rear lamp lens with number LUCAS SAE STD 61 stamped on it belongs to? I have the feeling it is a Ford Zephyr MK111, could someone confirm this? Dixie
13
13