Re: Capri inhibitor switch problem

hi, I need to repair or change the inhibitor swich on the auto gearbox

> in my preface lift 2000 V4 Capri. Can anyone advise if it can be removed > without the use of the speciall tool described in the manual? Also a > source for a replacement would be appreciated. I think the gearbox is a > Borg Warner. Regards Brian McMahon

If it's a Model 35 B-W, you don't need a special tool (perhaps thin spanners, though), but it has to be screwed in to the correct position and locked in place. It's easiest to use a meter with a continuity buzzer for this. If it's out of adjustment, the starter won't operate.

There are different types, IIRC. Is it just an inhibitor switch or a combined inhibitor/reversing light one?

The Model 65 has a different arrangement.

FWIW, this is general stuff - I've not worked on a Capri with this auto. Mine had a Ford unit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman