How much to fix these problems

Saw a used 98 vette today. All good other then following.

Passenger window closes on top a little, causing some wear. Says this is pretty common in 97-98 c5's. I just would want it fixed.

Wear on roof, I would want a new roof on so how much is that convertible

We drove the car and it started to rain, I found wipers did not work. Says he took out the fuse as it is a common prob that in good weather, the wipers start to sweep one time every 1/2 hour or so, so he took it out. He said this is fairly common problem in these cars.

I have had a 76, 93, 96 and for a very short time an 01 vertible. I returned the 01, and got my $$ back. They in turn fixed the trans and rear and re sold it for more then I paid.

here are details. black convertible white top beige seats. 32K miles, corsa exhaust z51 package. $20K

Reply to
rebco10

see window/glass shop (one thats familier with vettes) and have the window adjusted.

taking the fuse out won't fix anything. see an expierenced vette mechanic. (prices may vary)

you didn't mention the year of the car...

g'luck

Reply to
'Key

First line key LOL

Reply to
ZÿRiX

my bad... kinda like looking for something that's right in front of ya, huh?

Reply to
'Key

REPLY: Its amazing that the owner of a nice Corvette would own a car with these continuous problems. Anyway, Id get the guy down another $2,000 which will cover these problems and maybe a couple other problems you havent found yet.

Reply to
IlBeBauck

Not common at all, but the good news is it is an easy fix and you don't have to take the door apart. By the way they didn't make a '97 convertible. If you are inclined to buy this thing I'll send you the instructions.

About $400 around here, actually more like $375 for an installed white top.

More BS, the wiring or the stalk switch in the steering column is messed up, needs fixed before I would touch it until he fixed it. That column is easy to work on and he's not doing it because he won't/don't put any effort into putting out a properly functioning automobile. Do a web search and see if you can find that problem anywhere, I don't think so, at least not any quantity enough to be "common."

It wouldn't matter to me if it were 10K the guy is lying through his teeth and if you think he's bad at it now wait until you have your money in it. Actually a '98 coupe that had some of those so called "common" problems, not the ones he was talking about, sold here for 8K two months ago.

Just think about this for a moment, if you were selling something like this wouldn't it go allot better if you took the time to get those things fixed so the buyer was happy and he couldn't knock you down on the price. So why would this seller think he could pass off an a few "common" problems? Because he was going to slip them by you if he could and let you fix them. Good example is the wipers, if it hadn't rained would you have tried them? What else is hidden in this car that he's not being honest about?

Find a better dealer/individual to buy from............

Reply to
Dad

Good advice..for any used car on the market As for the couple of car's I've ever sold, fixed everything I could before selling them. New rack and pinion unit in the Taurus, a valve job on the Dodge Mini- van (turned out a cam tower was broken off), a rebuilt engine for the "free" G-20 Chevy Van

None of there were "my cars" as I keep mine like forever

32 years on the SL. Almost 30 years on the old Ford E-100 van conversion (finally dumped it on a junkyard in 2001)...K
Reply to
Ken

I really appreciat your advise and would buy the car. but I am too late the auction is no longer a buy it now at 20,300 but over that.

Just one thing, where are you that a 98 vette convertible 6 spd Z51 very good except for the 3 items I mentioned selling for eight thousand dollars? I would greatly appreciate if you would check that . If it is true, I will buy it back from any of them and ship it, assuming you are in the us. All the advise again and the estimates to fix are dead on and I thank you much

Reply to
rebco10

Sorry, I never said a '98 Z51 Convertible 6 speed, it was a coupe and I never mentioned what transmission it had. I defiantly didn't say it was very good, what I did say was it had some of those so called "common" problems which are highly under/over estimated depending if you are selling/buying.

"Common" problems can mean anything from a near total to "I pulled the fuse" type of story until you get to were you can see/drive/look at the car. My point was a Corvette with problems sells for less money, simple.

In a case like that why would anyone buy it and then resell it for the same money?

I do have a question though, how does a bid go over the "Buy it now" price?

Reply to
Dad

Now if you want to chase one down try this one -

Don't dally get on it now.

Reply to
Dad

Example I have a "buy it now" @ $11 amd a start selling @ $10.20 as soon as somebody bids the $10.20 it removes the "Buy it Now: feature as it would not ge fair to sell it to anybody after a bid has ben posted...

Reply to
ZÿRiX

.

Thanks for clearing that up. You know we have bud heads over the years and you are always reasonable and good advise. I am surprised about the buy it now dissappearing. I went to buy it last night and as I mentioned the buy it now dissappeared. I think that once the reserve is hit, it switches to auction automatically. Oh well. If I do not get this I will buy a mint 00 black vert for 24K upper new jersey. I really dont want to spend that much. However the cheaper car will need a couple grand and is really the same thing in the end. The 00 also hays heads up, 98 does not.

Thanks again REB

Reply to
rebco10

.

I dont know to trust craigslist. It is outstanding deal. I dont want an auto but you have to buy that. Problem is I am in New York. How do you know it is not stolen etc.

Reply to
rebco10

You don't but how do you know any of them are not stolen when you deal with a private party?

Reply to
Dad

Thanks for the update, I've not listed for some time but I think that is horse hockey, if he wanted it then he needed to bid the buy it now price. There is nothing fair about that, Flebay is not an auction. The people that benefit most from that type of listing is Flebay, more expensive then just posting it as a starting price. I do less business on there as they change the rules to optimize their take and cost the seller more.

Dad

Reply to
Dad

You certainly didn't, nor did he originally mention that it was a "98 Z51 Convertible 6 speed". That does put things in a slightly different perspective.

BTW there is still a full test report on the 1998 which is decent read

There are numerous "Fifth Gen's" listed for sale @
For example a `98Convertible with 14,342 miles for 25k without any of the "CommonProblems" ==>

I've always thought that "Common Problems" was code for "I don't maintain my vehicles".

Stupidity?

Because some idiots actually bid pass the "Buy it now" price which makes the "Buy it now" option go away. I've seen it happen before. Stupid is as stupid does.

Reply to
Zombywoof

---snip to trim--- Thanks for clearing that up. You know we have bud heads over the years and you are always reasonable and good advise. I am surprised about the buy it now dissappearing. I went to buy it last night and as I mentioned the buy it now dissappeared. I think that once the reserve is hit, it switches to auction automatically. Oh well. If I do not get this I will buy a mint 00 black vert for 24K upper new jersey. I really dont want to spend that much. However the cheaper car will need a couple grand and is really the same thing in the end. The

00 also hays heads up, 98 does not.

Thanks again REB ============== ============== Response: who knows ? the 98 may even cost you more then a couple grand in the long run. there is no telling what you may have to fix that you were NOT told about.. good that the 98 is out of the picture.

my2¢

Reply to
'Key

.

I called on the Craigslist car. The guy was not too happy said it was a prank. ANYWAY, I went to look at the car this afternoon. Opened and closed the doors, listened to the engine and bought it at the buy it now price. You can see it on ebay

did have an 01 2 months ago for a few weeks. Bought it from a dealerblue with chrome rims. I actually posted about that car. It ended upneeding a throw out bearing and valve work. I did get my money back.The 98 runs better and feels better. Surprisingly I am happier with it(no heads up boo but z51 cool)So thats it.

Ralph

Reply to
rebco10

.

I failed to mention, he is giving me the original rims, cold air induction in the box car cover, full detail and oil and filter change. We will see

Reply to
rebco10

Snip

Not surprising, I've chased a few of them, but I also own some that were let go way below value.

I did have an 01 2 months ago for a few weeks. Bought it from a >dealer

Just so you at least get it right, there was no magnetic ride control on the '98 (F-55) as stated, but in fact it was (F-45) real time damping. The F-55 option is 3 times the cost of F-45 and came out in

2003. The wheels look more like the polished aluminum and not chrome. Good luck on the pulled fuse common problem wipers. The Z-51 was only on about 12% of the '98s and my guess is you don't have it. Is the option codes still in the inside of the console door?

Here is the information on adjusting the windows. The rear tip in adjusters for the windows ARE located right behind the red reflectors on the door panels. You DO NOT have to remove the door panel to get to it. The reflector is held in by two tabs at the top and a spring steel clip at the bottom. Pry up from the bottom carefully to remove it and gain access to the rear tip-in adjustment screw. Back off the lock nut (10 mm) and turn adjusting threaded rod (4 mm hex head) ccw to increase tip-in, cw to decrease. No need to hold the 18mm window regulator pulley inside the door.

The rubber grommet under the door at the rear gives access to the aforementioned 18mm, and a height adjuster (with the window rolled down).

Front tip-in and height adjustment is under the rubber grommet at the front. Similar to the rear, but entire assembly slides transversely with the body of the car. You'll see the slot and see what I am trying to say in words.

Go easy on the adjustments and plan on making more the one attempt to correct the problem. The seals need to re-adjust to your changes and may create another leak in other places. Less problem if you go at it with some caution.

It does look good though, I loved my '98 but it didn't have common problems, just a blown ECM.

Reply to
Dad