If GM goes out of business?

Not sure if I asked this before but.If GM goes out of business can they sell the rights to the 57 Chevy? Or, can you then build a 57 Chevy and they can't send the GM police after you?

My friends were talking about how bad it was that Oldsmobile is gone. I said maybe the Chinese would buy them and start building 1970 442's again? Retro? Maybe the Chinese would buy Buick and build GNXs 1970's GSs.

Didn't the Chinese just but Hummer? (don't know why you'd want Hummer?)

Reply to
Speaker of the Truth

You can build a complete '57 right now from the various parts catalogues like Bob's Classic Chevy Parts and Danchuk.

Reply to
Jon

Actually none of the above can be done on a commercial basis. Not just because of the GM trade marks but because the Federal government won't allow you to build to yesterdays standards. Then there is the limited number of buyers that a huge amount of capital would be poured into for limited offering and you have a non winner.

Then in December when Obama signs the Climate treaty in Copenhagen China will have enough control of the USA you'll have to clear it with the dictator in charge. That will happen as he apologizes for us having been successful at one point in history.

Reply to
Dad

I thnk the same goes for a C3. Though I'm not sure if anyone is selling frames and birdcages.

-W

Reply to
Clams Canino

Maybe the C1 & C2 but I've never seen a set of parts offered for the C3. Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth to call them a "C" anything, should be just the C5 and C6. Even that is not on the manufacture's paper work if I recall.

What would be expected from a post that was opened off topic to begin with only to start a discussion of choice that he has beat to death already???????????...............

Reply to
Dad

Sounds like time to start a clandestine Engine Number/VIN registry and find a territory with liberal 'salvage' laws.

Somewhat akin to the military's shortage of a particular aircraft years ago. Congress wouldn't authorize any new production to cover attrition so, if any evidence of a tail number could be found (one was dragged up from 1800 feet of ocean), the aircraft was "repaired" and placed back in service.

-- pj

Reply to
pj

I didn't mean a "set" - just that all told you can almost build a car from the catalogs.

Time to get over it. The "C" designations merely "work" for practical differentiation.

Personally - I see as much difference between a 1953 vs a 1962 as I do between a 1963 vs a 1982 ; but it still "works" overall.

-W

Reply to
Clams Canino

OK, sets, or kits if you prefer, are out there for the C1 and C2 but nothing like that is offered for the C3. Denim, buttons, and rivets are in a catalog but very few people make their own jeans and even fewer people look at them as a reason to make their own just because they're available.

The statement you replied to was............

Your reply........

Those "catalogues" do offer sub assemblies and parts kits aimed at building a complete car. That applies to the C1 and the C2 but not the C3. Those companies come and go quite quickly as the final cost is more than just a bit prohibitive. That high cost is the main reason the C3 is not on the short list, it's value is not close enough to the C1 and C2 to even start the project.

Reply to
Dad