2002 Intrepid

Glenn,

2000 Intrepid 2.7L, 79k miles Trouble Code: P0441

I tightened the gas cap and cleared the codes. The MIL went out. I now have no codes in the display of my scan tool, yet, but I do have indicators on my scanner for:

EV = Evaporative System Monitor O = Oxygen Sensor Monitor

I suspect that the indicators on my scan tool are telling me that the systems indicating errors need to go through a full cycle of testing before they will go out.

1.) Could all this be caused by a loose gas cap?

2.) Is my assumption on the test cycle completion correct?

Thanks

Reply to
Abby.Normal

P0441 is NOT an LDP evaporative emission fault and not related to the gas cap. It is a purge control valve fault. I have no idea what kind of scan tool you are using. All scan tools are not the same. But I will take a guess on what I think you are talking about. If you cleared your codes you also wiped out all the monitors that have been run and passed. Now the engine controller is going to have to run all the monitors again and pass them. you may have to drive this vehicle several days at different loads and speeds to get them to pass. If the purge control problem is not fix (and im sure it isn't with a loose cap) that monitor will never pass and the lite will be back on.

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

The EV and O lights are "pre-emissions test" indicators on the tool. The code is back as we both expected and it brings up is P0441 and my "official" Chrysler Service Manual states it is:

Evap Purge Flow Monitor; Insufficient or excessive vapor flow detected during evaporative emission system operation.

My scan tool is INNOVA 3110 OBD2 Code Reader

. It is the exact same one that O'Reilly Auto Parts uses for helping their customers as well as an AutoZone I know of. It's not bad for the home user that just needs more to go on than a simple light on the dash. It's by no means the $100,000+ one that the dealership has. There is nothing that can come close to those beasts.

What would be the most likely cause(s) for this code to come on?

Reply to
Abby.Normal

If your scan tool was able to actuate this solenoid you would be able to see that the ground side of the solenoid is working. On the hot side you will have 12 volts engine running. Make sure the vacuum side of the solenoid is ok, and the other side has no leaks going to the canister. After the leak detection pump (LDP) test, no air flow through the evaporative system is detected by the evap monitor. This is how the fault is set. If all looks good replace the purge valve.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks again, Glenn. It's heading to the shop on Monday. I can't even find the purge valve on this car and have wasted enough of your time just getting this far. Every time I open the hood on this thing I shiver. Next car is going to be a Stratus. In fact, I may just take it in and trade it today for one.

Reply to
Abby.Normal

Don't give up on it!!! I believe the purge valve is just under the master cylinder on that vehicle.

Reply to
maxpower

I found it. Funny thing happened when I checked the codes again. There weren't any stored and I never reset the computer. I wiggled the purge valve then checked for codes - none. The pre-emissions tests on the reader also said everything was OK. It's like a different car is being scanned.

Too late anyway. We just traded it in for a new Sebring. Same motor-smaller car. Love it!!

Thanks again, Glenn.

Reply to
Abby.Normal

Happy Motoring!!

Reply to
maxpower

Will do and thanks for all your help. This car fits her better than that big Intrepid did anyway.

Reply to
Abby.Normal