92 Voyager: A wisp of smoke, a burning bakelite smell, and...

THis morning. Got into my clicking, clacking 92 Voyager AWD and turned the radio up good and loud to cover the engine noise. Had a butt going when I noticed the smell of burning electronics. I was HOPING it was the neighbor burning whatever junk he throws in his wood stove. Then I noticed the wisp of smoke coming out of the grille between the top of the instrument cluster and the 'information center' where the turn signals, et al are located. Hmmm.....turned the radio off. Still some smoke. Used the windows on stores, etc to check the operation of the lights, OK. Windows, OK. Power door locks, OK. Should I go home? Nah, the Scrap Yard is on my way to the bank...

Get out of the bank and notice how warm it is outside. Hmmm...wonder what the temerature is. No temperature. No AVG MPG. No MPG. No ODO. No info, no light, no nothing. THe overhead console info canter was GONE. All the dome lights worked, just no info center.

So, the question here is, where does this circuit come from? Is there a connector behind the instrument panel? Is info from the IP sent there?

Any ideas?

But! The motor is still clacking away!

Reply to
Hachiroku

there is a short in yoru system. go to dealer, get the wiring diagram of yoru car, and follow where the short is. I think it is somewhereat a connector. it must be easy to find. you just need the wiring diagram to see where and which connectors are controling the intstrumental panel.

Reply to
uccoskun

When it gets a little warmer I'll yank the instrument cluster. I've had it out before. Not really difficult, just a bit time consuming, and not something I want to do in less than 45 degree weather!

Seems to be OK, I drove it the rest of the day and again today.

Thanks for the input! :)

Reply to
Hachiroku