97 voyager 3.0 overheating

the fan stayed on the first time and drained my battery, key off, engine off. the second time, i pulled the postive battery terminal to turn the fan off. since then the fan has not come on. the temperature sender to the guage is working fine and lets me know the engine is overheating in stop and go traffic. i?ve been to 3 auto parts houses and no one can tell me if there is a relay that controls the fans or if there is a seperate temp sender to turn the fans on or off. the fuse is good. does anyone know if there is a relay to turn the radiator fans on and off and where it might be located. any/all help/advice is appreciated.

frank

Reply to
voyagerguy

Hi Frank I had the same problem with a sunbird, I asked everywhere. I replaced all the relays to no avail, the fan actually worked direct... I ended up putting in a toggal switch, ran it to the cab , when I noticed it heating up (above norms) I turned it on , when it cooled I shut it off. LOL

Reply to
Manny1

Frank The Voyager is a lot like the Caravan and has a HIDDEN fan power transistor ( or TRAIC ) under the driver side wheel housing ( INSIDE BOTTOM ) Not on the side the tire is on..

The one for the caravan is BLUE and is mounted to the body of the van to provide heat syncing for the device.

You may need to go to the front of the van, get on your back and look under the van front right wheel housing ( Driver side ). If you see a device about two and a half inch's with two or three wires going to it. next to the radiator drain. This is most likely it. Replace it. Dodge says you should replace the fan along with the transistor. The transistor can cost $25.00 and the fan $75. Good luck.

Reply to
The Ip Masker