Who was it who mentioned Fram oil filters and dropping oil pressure?

It's the Fram ExtraGuard filters (their low end product, orange) that has the problem with the anti-drainback valve.

From "

": "The rubber anti-drainback valve seals against the cardboard and frequently leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak all the time. The stamped-metal threaded end is weakly constructed and it has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow. I had one of these filters fail in my previous car. The filter element collapsed and bits of filter and glue were circuilating through my system. The oil passge to the head became blocked and the head got so hot from oil starvation that it actually melted the vacuum lines connected to it as well as the wires near it."

Reply to
SMS

That story is not believable. Here is why it is not believable: If you read the warranty from any filter manufacturer they will cover damage if such an event would occur with their filter. So why didn't this guy get a replacement engine from Fram?

Because what he claims caused his engine damage never happened.

What probably happened is this guy ran his car low on oil and destroyed the engine. Rather than admit it was his own fault he creates this story which blames it on the bogey man. Others are more than willing to repeat the story as if it were truth.

There are plenty of stories of people who use Fram filters for very long lived engines. The guy who puts 400K on an engine and maybe installs around 100 filters on that engine doesn't seem to ever run into a bad filter. But the guy who used a Fram filter just once in his entire life tells a story of how they destroy your engine. I'm sorry I just don't find that believable.

If Fram filters disintegrate like this story claims - Why can't you come up with lots of cases where car manufacturers get Fram to pay for replacement engines? Or how about come up with just one case. I mean this pretty cut and dried - if they are at all prone to disintegrate wouldn't it surely show up on the one of millions of instances where low mileage new vehicles had a Fram filter installed?

-jim

Reply to
jim

LOL, those warranties are all bogus. Just try proving that the damage was a direct result of the oil filter. Often it's latent damage that isn't apparent for tens of thousands of miles (or more) of start-ups with no oil caused by a crappy anti-drainback valve/

It's a similar issue with non-API certified oils where they guarantee to cover vehicle damage caused by the oil. Good luck proving that your early catalytic converter failure was caused by the high level of ZDDP in the oil.

What's ironic is that it's probably the same people throwing away money by doing 3K oil changes that are also buying the worst quality filters.

Reply to
SMS

That is what independent claims adjusters are for

Or maybe its just the bogey man out to get you.

No its not at all the same. Using non-certified products will void your warranty. If Fram filters disintegrate then the automakers would have literally thousands and thousands of claims against fram. There would be class action lawsuits. It wouldn't just be rumor and superstition on usenet.

The people I know who have the longest lived engines use Fram filters. I know a guy who bought a new GTO in the mid 60s when he got out of the service and still drives it today. He claims his secret is to change the filter every 2000 miles and change the oil every other filter change. The engine is pristine and never had a problem. Just about everything else on the car has been replaced or rebuilt. But you are right if you aren't going to be willing to deal with the rest of the car there is little point in doing the maintenance that keeps the engine running good that long.

-jim

Reply to
jim

Ah, I didn't realize that, but it all makes sense now as both seem to equally clueless, and now both are equally in the kill file.

Reply to
SMS

Sure if one bogey man story fails to support your superstitious beliefs - just create another bogey man story.

Reply to
jim

Puleeze. They're obviously different folks. And you will killfile somebody because they might use Fram oil filters? Oil filter fanaticism to the extreme!

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Well, I didn't see "Mike Hunter" posting to this thread before, although he seems annoyed that he has "had his fill." And "Jim's" posts are every bit as opinionated and full of himself as I've come to expect from "Mike." So they may or may not be the same person but I thought that "Mike" was implying that he was "Jim."

In any case, this has gone on far too long, and "Jim" certainly seems every bit as pleasant to interact with as "Mike" and as immune to facts that don't fit with his preconceived worldview.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

You are wasting a ton of money and oil. With today's high quality regular oil, unless you have some crappy sludge producing import engine, every 6mo/6000 miles is all you need. Our fleet of thousands of cars and trucks ( 90% + domestic) get 6/6000 and it's works just fine. We have many vehicles run up to 250K miles on that interval and are still running when auctioned. My area has a couple dozen vehicles and the last time we had an engine failure was on a 70 Plymouth years and years ago. That's not to say in the entire fleet we don't sometimes have a problem, but it's much more likely to be a blown head gasket then anything else.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

It certainly has. This business of getting on usenet and slamming Fram filters for no good reason has been going on for way way too long. There is no reliable data or evidence to support these slams but the perpetrators think they can gang up and bully everybody else into agreeing with them.

I don't have an opinionated world view. Your the one promoting opinionated superstitious beliefs. My personal belief is that the difference between one filter brand and another doesn't amount to hill of beans as far as the overall effects it has on an engine. Anybody can use any filter that is designed for the application and change it before it is saturated with dirt and the chance of having a problem are practically nil. You can apply the same logic to the filter in a vacuum cleaner.

There is no evidence that there is any greater risk when using one brand as compared to another. The way things are nowadays the average engine will outlast the rest of the car if you just follow the recommended maintenance schedule.

-jim

Reply to
jim

no, just because they're a pathological liar. Keeping what remains of Usenet useful is dependent on judicious filtering to be able to see the remaining useful content.

Reply to
SMS

In clean dry conditions with 2000 mile oil changes, using today's oils,many engines would live a very long life WITHOUT a filter - and in many cases longer than with a bad filter (no drainback dry-start issues)

Heck, my 1949 VW only had a cupshaped flyscreen and IT had something well over 200,000 MILES on it, in the hot, dusty, and humid (alternately) southern Zambia conditions. It had apparently had a valve job, but nothing else. (didn't have enough power to hurt itself, I always said) before I got it in 1973.

I only but a few thousand miles on it, around Livingstone, up to Choma and Macha, and one trip down to Chobe Botswanna

Reply to
clare

Far as I've seen, it's a case of disagreement, not lying. Open discourse. That's what it's all about, baby!

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

If you had bought a new vw bug in 1973 it would still not have had a filter for the oil. One thing it had that compensated for lack of filter besides the screen was an easy way to clean out the crud that settled in the bottom.

-jim

Reply to
jim

OK....changed the oil in the Soob today ,a dn installed a Wix filter. Just by lokking at it it appeared to be a better made filter.

No change in oil pressure...

However that horrible clacking noise went away in about 2 minutes, after clacking for the past week. Previously, changing oil did NOT eliminate the clacking noise once it started.

Filter change do that? I don't know. I don't care. It stopped.

Reply to
Hachiroku

No, 'jim' is a transplant from the Honda group. They must have all plonked him over there...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Were you born brain dead or do you take medication for that?

Reply to
jim

jim wrote in news:Neydnf3VNfbpoYzWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@bright.net:

I have seen with my own eyes the results of a fram filter comming apart and filling the system with the crap the filter is made of. It destroyed the eng. pluged all the oil passages. This was when I worked in a Ford Dealership years ago. Fram basicly told us to go fork ourselves because they had many more lawyers on retainer than the cust would spend. Those guarentys ARE a joke. and I wouldn`t use a fram filter if they gave me a life time supply of the junk. KB

Reply to
Kevin

SOME of the crud. Didn't hold much oil either!!

Reply to
clare

No. I read your tirades and it drove me mad.

Reply to
Hachiroku