Mother's Powerball

Anyone try the Mother's Powerball yet (or the mini)? You attach to your drill and is supposed to be awesome for rims. I was thinking of trying the mini on my Camaro 2000 SS SLP rims ... but $25 is hard to justify. A guy in the store said it was worth every penny. Anyone have experience ... which is better for rims the original or mini ?

TIA

Reply to
buzzsaw

Looks like Mother's Staff - answered my own question - DO NOT USE it on Chrome.

"To answer your question...The PowerBall is not intended for use on coated wheel finishes of any sort. The PowerBall was designed to be used as a polishing tool on uncoated/polishable metals, and would not be the proper tool for your wheels."

Reply to
buzzsaw

On Thu, 4 May 2006 21:33:41 -0400, "buzzsaw" puked:

What about aluminum wheels? Don't they show them polishing wheels on the ad?

lab~rat >:-)

Here is the rest of the email -

"Here is a direct quote from our website outlining it's uses and specs. "The patent-pending* Mothers=AE PowerBall=99 is the first foam polishing tool designed to revitalize billet, diamond plate, polished aluminum, stainless steel, plastic lenses, convertible top windows and much more. When used with Mothers=AE PowerMetal=99 polish, the PowerBall=99 is ideal for use on any uncoated, polishable metal finish. Its unique and durable construction compresses to fit tight spaces, so polishing difficult, intricate metalwork to a mirror-like finish is fast and easy."

If your wheels are in fact chrome (Contact the manufacturer to be 100% certain), chrome is a plating that can't technically be "polished"...so to speak. Chrome plating is a very thick coating that once scratched or marred ultimately has to be re-dipped in chrome to regain its "like-new" look. Our Chrome Polish will clean and leave a protective layer on chrome plating to achieve the high gloss that individuals look to achieve. Of course you would want to thoroughly clean your wheels prior to using the Chrome Polish...

Although there are individuals who use our PowerBall on chrome using our Chrome Polish, there are some newer chrome finishes which happen to be a softer chrome...which scratches easily. In my honest opinion, PowerBall is overkill for chrome wheels. You can just as quickly clean and protect them with Chrome Polish using some good ol' fashioned elbow grease. "

Reply to
buzzsaw

On 5 May 2006 06:05:51 -0700, "buzzsaw" puked:

That said, the '00 SS rims are some of the easier rims to clean (Did so by hand this weekend). The powerball may be ok for the aluminum rims on my Elky...

lab~rat >:-)