'97 Coolant recovery question

When the engine is hot, excess coolant transfers to the coolant recovery tank. When the engine cools (overnight), the coolant does not return to the radiator. When I remove the radiator cap, I can tell I'm breaking a vacuum. Is this a radiator cap problem? - Mike

Reply to
mhorowit

It is a possibility... could also be a restriction in the hose to the recovery tank...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Well, beside hearing the vacuum when I release the cap, the upper radiator hose has collapsed from the vacuum. Thinking it was weak I replaced it (along with the radiator cap), but the symptom continues.

I removed the small line from the radiator filler neck to the recovery tank and the vacuum remained in the radiator.

Open to suggestions - Mike

Reply to
mhorowit