99' Explorer Climate Control Goes To Defrost When Accelerating

When ever I have to give the truck any amount of power when already at cruise speed, all of the air shifts to the defroster vents no matter where the setting is. AC is still working but comes out the defroster as with all other settings.

I believe this is a vaccum problem of some sort kind of like how on the old days the wipers would quit when you punched it.

Any ideas??

Thanks, John (Rosco) John

2001 182 Sea Ray V6 Chevy Vortec "Float $um"
Reply to
Rosco Bookbinder

Check out the thread "97 air direct problem with AC" started on July

12th...... one should always check for posts similar to theirs when first subscribing to newsgroups.

Jim Warman

Mention was made of vacuum connections, the vacuum check valve, the vacuum reservoir....

will show you the thread. Perhaps your ISP doesn't support many news servers...... time for a new ISP or regular trips to google.

Seriously, the subject has been discussed within the last few days....the thread will still be available on any reliable news server.

You are right in considering a vacuum problem... unfortunately we cannot take your hand and put it on the faulty piece until you become our eyes and ears....

Jim Warman

Rosco, I had the exact same problem on my 99 XLT that I noticed a couple of days after I bought it new. It turned out to be a vacuum hose in the engine compartment that was not even hooked up. It was just hanging there. I guess they forgot to hook it up at the factory. If you want to look to see if yours is hooked up, I have an SOHC V6. Looking at the engine compartment on the passengers side between the alternator and the windshield fluid resevoir you will see a plastic vacuum line with a right angle connector on it connected to another vacuum line. One line comes from the evaporator, the other line comes from below the alternator. If yours is connected OK, you probably have a leak someplace else. Another place to check is behind the glove compartment. There is a main vacuum connection behind there. Drop the glove box by opening it up, squeeze the sides of it so the plastic tabs clear the sides, and drop it down. On the left side you will see a bunch of vacuum lines connected to a manifold. I have learned that when there is a problem with the vacuum system in the Explorers, the system goes to "default mode", which in this case is the air switching to the defrost vents under acceleration. There is no vacuum during that time. Good Luck .Hope this helps.

Reply to
SizzleMP