EGR mod on a 4.0L

Has anyone done the EGR mod on a '96 or similar 4-liter OHV? I've pulled and plugged the vacuum line and tried a 10K resistor across the electrical connection, but it still sets off the "check engine" light.

Reply to
SkyOrDie

Good.... The EGR plays an important role in keeping our air cleaner and our planet livable. With modern technology, there is nothing to be gained by circumventing such an important piece of emissions equipment. If you can feel any difference between having the system hooked up and disabled, you would be much further ahead to repair the problem than putz around....... In case you are wondering, the PCM is not only looking for a signal within a particular range, it is also looking for changes in the signal so that it can modualte the EGR position to achieve the desired flow.

In a properly functioning system, there will be no EGR flow at either idle or WOT...

Jim Warman

I don't have a problem. I'm interested in performance and driveability in between idle and WOT. The mod has been documented for other engines, but I can't find specifics for the 4.0 OHV. Injecting exhaust gases into the incoming charge reduces power while it's reducing NOx emissions.

Reply to
SkyOrDie

Your gas mileage will suffer if you perform this mod. But if you must, this mod will only work if you change to aftermarket throttle plate bearings and install new piston relief springs. She'd be running purdy smooth then.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Here-in lies the conundrum, if you are looking for more part throttle power, it is simple to merely press harder on the pedal rather than defeat a control device that will surely affect our grandchildren.

Now, I'm no environmental activist..... I will be the first one to tell you that seeking zero emissions is an unattainable folly. At the same time, as responsible adults, it behooves us to do our best to minimize the impact that we have on our surroundings.

There are many subscribers to this NG that live in areas adverselty affected by automobile and/or industrial emissions and they are, quite likely, muttering under their collective breaths. That you understand the ramifications of disabling the EGR system and are likely quite aware of the effects of oxides of nitrogen in the atmosphere........

around.......

Reply to
Jim Warman

From Richard:

And just think how much cleaner any possible exhaust will be after these mods! Quite possibly the same reading from anywhere on the vehicle, now that's something to try for!!!!

/Richard

Reply to
Debbie Grimes