Fuel pressure regulator

My 94 explorer has intermittent starting problems. After listening to your advice, here is where I am now: When it doesn't start..I listen for the fuel pump when the key is on, it runs but doesn't stop after a few seconds like when it does start. I can also hear a sound under the hood like air leaking. I assume this is from the pressure regulator. The fuel pump was replaced last year with an Advance auto pump for an unrelated reason(rusted, leaking fuel line). Could a pressure regulator fail in such a way to prevent it from starting? Thanks for all the help so far, much better than the garage.

Reply to
Rich

Rich wrote: Could a pressure regulator fail in such a way to prevent it from

It definitely can and has happened repeatably on the first gen models. What usually happens is the vacuum bladder in the FPR goes bad and allows gas to be directly taken into the intake manifold via the vacuum line. the easiest test is to simply pull the vacuum line and smell / look for fuel.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Sigman